• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Beason going to restructure?

Hotsauce

Beason is safe from being traded, cut or restructured this year but if he wants to remain a Panther, he'll have to restructure his contract eventually. Same goes for Johnson. They can't expect to stay in Carolina and get grossly overpaid.

How exactly is CJ overpaid right now? He's one of the leagues best DE...

I think that we probably over paid CJ by a few milion a year when we did his contract. But, we were scared that he would bolt for Atlanta (I think he would have if the money were the same).

We made him an offer that he could not refuse and that even surprised him.

I seem to remember Jon being injured at the time we gave him that huge contract. Hindsight is 20/20 but I have to think the Panthers "overlooked" what they thought to be minor injuries or ignored some warning signs. On the other hand Jerry was paying players for past greatness and after all the lockout stuff.

Achilles / shoulder / knee? Surgeries will do that to people

Not contributing the better part of two seasons and being replaced at his position as well. Something about his contract must make restructuring difficult. On pure concept, Beason more than Gross should have been getting flack about a pay cut.

A few of Marty's bad deals we are just going to have to eat. The good news is this: Beason is a pro-bowl LB and if he returns to form, we have 3 studs and a pretty awesome reserve in Chase Blackburm. If we address the DT spot, the front seven is the best in football. Period.

You guys are much too harsh on Beason. He will be back. He is like TD, he wil come back and he will prove people wrong. That is who he is. Yes he is getting overpaid. no doubt there, and maybe he will restructure or won't but it won't be for 'absolutley nothing', he will be back.

Beason is safe from being traded, cut or restructured this year but if he wants to remain a Panther, he'll have to restructure his contract eventually. Same goes for Johnson. They can't expect to stay in Carolina and get grossly overpaid.

Just for the record:

Compare Johnson's numbers to other DE's in the league over the last few years and he is not underpaid. It may have seemed like that at first but nope.

This. People are still in sticker shock from when the deal was made, but his numbers are at the very least top 4 DE in the league. He is not overpaid at all. Matter of fact he works out about right.

I'm gonna tell you all something that comes from a "source" Naturally I wont name the source because it is a long time friend (who is a starting player) and is close to Beason.

To put it simply:

He wants to stay and retire here.

He knows over the past few years injury has kept him at a point that he isnt playing to the level his salary expects.

He IS willing to take as much as a 15% pay cut to help the team this year.

He knows that with is injuries..he likely wont find much better anywhere else at this time.

He knows he needs a good year of uninjured play to command the kind of money (either from the Panthers, or elsewhere) he is being paid now.

And most importantly...he DOESNT WANT to play anywhere else. He knows he is already set for life and is comfortable with the pay cut...possibility of retirement/money he has stashed away in various ventures. He truly loves the Charlotte area, appreciates what the team has given him and his family...and basically isnt a greedy SOB. He comes from humble beginnings, and is content which all that he has already. He doesnt desire a HUGE payday...he desires to play the game he loves with the team he loves.

All of that said...agents may convince him otherwise...but as mentioned...this comes directly from starting player whom I have known since my first year of college. Most wont believe me (and that's ok) but just wait and see.

Archived