• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Adjusted Net [Pass] Yards / Attempt

SgtJoo

ANY/A has the highest correlation of any passing/QB stat to QB wins (.55).

ANY/A - adjusted net yards per passing attempt: (pass yards + 20*(pass TD) - 45*(interceptions thrown) - sack yards)/(passing attempts + sacks). See AY/A.

AY/A - adjusted yards per passing attempt: (pass yards + 20*(pass TD) - 45*(interceptions thrown))/(passing attempts). This stat was introduced, and the reasoning behind it thoroughly explained in a book called The Hidden Game of Football, by Bob Carroll, Pete Palmer, and John Thorn. Note that we are now using 20 yards per TD instead of 10, because of research by Chase Stuart at the p-f-r blog.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/about/glossary.htm

And here's the list of QBs by ANY/A

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_adj_net_yds_per_att_career.htm

14. Cam Newton (23) 6.44 2011-2012 car

Food for thought during the offseason and the future.

It's a two way street, Jake deserves credit for what he did here.

Very cool, makes Cam look good. Although Jake Delhomme is 34th all time on that as well. No knock on Jake or anything but we can attribute most of that to Steve Smith's ability and not Jake being a premier passer. But I digress.... 

Sooo if this is supposed to be a correlation to wins then what you're saying is we've been extremely fuging unlucky the past two seasons (shocker) since Cam is 14th in NFL history on that list.  

And whaddya' know, Cam is the only QB within that range with a sub .500 career record.  Makes me mad to think about how we could've just as easily had two winning seasons back-to-back rather than 6-10/7-9.  So fuging close.

Very cool, makes Cam look good. Although Jake Delhomme is 34th all time on that as well. No knock on Jake or anything but we can attribute most of that to Steve Smith's ability and not Jake being a premier passer. But I digress....

Don't want to make this a Jake thread, but Jake's best year statistically Smith got hurt for the season in game 1.

Don't want to make this a Jake thread, but Jake's best year statistically Smith got hurt for the season in game 1.

But Moose was the only reason for that! C'mon man you know Jake couldn't tie his shoes with out someone bailing him out!

Srsly tho, Jake was very good for a short while and we were lucky for that. Nothing but love for my (former) QB.

But Moose was the only reason for that! C'mon man you know Jake couldn't tie his shoes with out someone bailing him out!

Srsly tho, Jake was very good for a short while and we were lucky for that. Nothing but love for my (former) QB.

Jake was a pretty damn good qb.

Sad you can't/won't give him the credit he deserves.

To this day, the 2003 season, was the season that the Panthers had the most 20 plus, and 40 plus yard plays per snap, in franchise history. The Panthers even led the league in that stat in 2003.

Jake not only was good enough to get it done, he was a natural leader.

Jake was a pretty damn good qb.

Sad you can't/won't give him the credit he deaerves.

To this day, the 2003 season, was the season that the Panthers had the most 20 plus, and 40 plus yard plays per snap, in franchise history. The Panthers even led the league in that stat in 2003.

Jake not only was good enough to get it done, he was a natural leader.

It was a poor attempt at sarcasm.  You wont find a bigger Jake supporter than this guy right here.

The first jersey i ever bought for my son is #17.  (he's 2)  I plan on telling him all the great Jake stories.

I was there that first game in 2003 when Jake connected with Ricky in the corner of the end zone on 4th down, I've been a super fan(of Jake) ever since.

Archived