• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My waning confidence in our running backs.

Awesomeness!!

"As a Running Back however he has digressed significantly since our last playoff appearance, and I personally don't see him as a top 20 RB in the league anymore."

You do know the last playoff appearance was in January 10, 2009, right? That was 4 years and almost 9 months ago?

He hasn't "digressed," he's gotten almost 4 years older. And he's getting older at a time when the Panther O-line is getting worse.

Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Doug Martin, Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, C.J. Spiller, Trent Richardson, Ray Rice, Alfred Morris, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, Frank Gore, Steven Jackson, Maurice Jones Drew, Jonathan Stewart....all are better players than Deangelo right now. I probably left somebody out.

OP is right, he's not a game changer at this point in his career. The Barry Sanders comparison made earlier was RIDICULOUS!

Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Adrian Peterson are the only running backs in NFL history with a higher yards per carry average (minimum 1,000 attempts) than DeAngelo Williams.

Please, tell me more about how much he sucks.

the difference between williams and those guys...the only way williams gets into the hall of fame is if he buys a ticket.

there's a heck of a lot more to being a great running back than ypc.

I think a lot of our poor rushing and no time for Cam to pass problems come from the stupid habit our O-line has of one of the Guards tapping Kalil on the leg when they're ready.  The hike comes within a second of that tap 90% of the time and the D-line can just use that to time their lunge.  I watch for it and don't see other teams doing it.  Makes the D-line's job a lot easier...

But yea, Deangelo's running style doesn't seem to fit the offense we've run since Cam got here.

D-Will is Barry Sanders-esque. He may have 14 carries for 30 yards then break off a 60 yard TD run.

He gets yards in chunks. Not a guy that gets you 3-4 yards on every carry.

It is great because of the explosiveness but can also hurt you by getting little yards on a carry by carry basis.

Please don't ever compare d.will to barry sanders

Please don't ever compare d.will to barry sanders

I said this earlier I am not saying he is as good as Barry Sanders. I was referring to how he accumulates yards which is similar to how Barry did in that they come in chunks, not pounding out 4 yards every carry.

I think a lot of our poor rushing and no time for Cam to pass problems come from the stupid habit our O-line has of one of the Guards tapping Kalil on the leg when they're ready. The hike comes within a second of that tap 90% of the time and the D-line can just use that to time their lunge. I watch for it and don't see other teams doing it. Makes the D-line's job a lot easier...

But yea, Deangelo's running style doesn't seem to fit the offense we've run since Cam got here.

Kalil spoke yesterday on Sirius NFL about the changes being made under Shula....mentioned 3 things and but notes they weren't showing/working on it during preseason games. Which has been the standard under Rivera.....every preseason has been these set and predetermined plays that will be run no

matter what

1. Getting to line early unlike the standard we have gotten use to

2. Allowing Cam to change plays at the line

3. And and broadly mentioned doing more at the line to throw opponents off.

Like someone said earlier, DWill is not a consistent 3-4 yard runner but rather a 2 yard, 1 yard, then 50 yard kind of running back. This is why him getting 8-9 carries a game under this current system makes him useless. when he gets at least 20 carries, you can almost be certain he will get close to 100 yards. he showed the last game of the season that he will run wild when exclusively getting all the carries

Like someone said earlier, DWill is not a consistent 3-4 yard runner but rather a 2 yard, 1 yard, then 50 yard kind of running back. This is why him getting 8-9 carries a game under this current system makes him useless. when he gets at least 20 carries, you can almost be certain he will get close to 100 yards. he showed the last game of the season that he will run wild when exclusively getting all the carries

Unless it is very weak D....you can't afford to give him those attempts bc you will fall behind as your offense stalls all game

Kalil spoke yesterday on Sirius NFL about the changes being made under Shula....mentioned 3 things and but notes they weren't showing/working on it during preseason games. Which has been the standard under Rivera.....every preseason has been these set and predetermined plays that will be run no

matter what

1. Getting to line early unlike the standard we have gotten use to

2. Allowing Cam to change plays at the line

3. And and broadly mentioned doing more at the line to throw opponents off.

I sure hope that's the main thing they do to throw opponents off.  Because it pisses me off a little every time I see the tap, one mississippi, hike.  It's always either that or tap, clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap hike...which would often lead to semi-chaos and/or delay of game.

Archived