• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What exactly is a Franchise QB?

carolinanimal

on a side note. people talk about leadership when it comes to a qb. this could be an important trait, but i dont know how important that is. does leadership really make a team better from the qbs position?

Well think about it. When working in a group the first thing that happens is a hierarchy is formed. Those with leadership skills assume those rolls and begin to dole out the tasks at hand. Do you not find it easier to complete your assigned task if that is the only thing to worry about? The leader has taken control of the situation allowing you to focus solely on your responsibility.

on a side note. people talk about leadership when it comes to a qb. this could be an important trait, but i dont know how important that is. does leadership really make a team better from the qbs position?

Yes but only if the qb and coach are preaching from the same book. I think that qb leadership is important but other leaders of the team must echo what the qb is preaching.

Well think about it. When working in a group the first thing that happens is a hierarchy is formed. Those with leadership skills assume those rolls and begin to dole out the tasks at hand. Do you not find it easier to complete your assigned task if that is the only thing to worry about? The leader has taken control of the situation allowing you to focus solely on your responsibility.

i think that is true from a real world standpoint. but i keep thinking about last years Ravens. if you ask anyone who the leader of that team was it was Ray Lewis. Flacco was like the 3rd person down on that list for me.  ray lewis, john harbaugh, then flacco. 

i think that is true from a real world standpoint. but i keep thinking about last years Ravens. if you ask anyone who the leader of that team was it was Ray Lewis. Flacco was like the 3rd person down on that list for me. ray lewis, john harbaugh, then flacco.

That's true but you are assuming that the Panthers have a Ray Lewis type leader. Of that I'm not so sure. There is a lack of unifying leaders on this team.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1713557-how-to-define-a-franchise-qb-in-todays-nfl

This is a surprisingly good article from Bleacher Report which discusses the topic on hand and goes into a lot of detail.

Basically breaks the FQB definition into several categories: skillset, leadership, marketability, wins, decision making etc.

I recommend checking it out for those interested. Cam is brought up throughout the article also.

I think if you are looking for a potential franchise quarterback then guys like Kaepernick, Wilson, Tannehill, and Newton among others would qualify.  Then then are guys like  Cutler, Alex Smith, Dalton and Ryan who can help you win but can't take over a game most of the time They are franchise quarterbacks but aren't irreplaceable. Then you have guys like Brees, P. Manning and Brady who make others better and can carry a team on his back who are their team's franchise.  

Other guys are simply the quarterback of the franchise.. 

A QB that is a weapon, not a liability. One who wins you games, not loses you games, gives you a chance to win if the ball is in his hands at the end of the game. The phrase is over used, but see Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Mannings, Like another poster said, Dalton, Wilson, Tannehill maybe, one day will become that. RIGHT NOW Cam, Kap, RGIII haven't shown that they will be elite with their passing.

Archived