• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beason may not return to be a starter

Darknight

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Coach Ron Rivera says he isn't sure if three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason will return to the starting lineup Oct. 6 when the Panthers visit the Arizona Cardinals.

Carolina (1-2) has a bye this week. Rivera quietly changed up the starting lineup on Sunday, replacing Beason — who's struggling to get back healthy following knee surgery last October — with veteran Chase Blackburn at weak side linebacker.

The move worked out well as the Panthers sacked Eli Manning seven times and forced three turnovers in a 38-0 rout of the New York Giants.

Beason only played one snap on defense. While it's hard to imagine Rivera making a change following a shutout, he left his options open saying "we'll have to wait and see" who'll start against Arizona.

http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/story/rivera-not-sure-if-lb-beason-will-get-his-job-back-20130924?5454

I don't know that I'm all in on Blackburn yet. Given how easily he identified plays pre-snap from formations in film study, I'd like to see more before I wholesale commit to it. He played well though and I think he's starter material.

It'd be a nice story to see Beason get closer back to form at the place where this little injury stint occurred, however-but I think we're okay with Blackburn,

Guest Spider Monkey

I think Beason needs a full season healthy to get re-acclimated to playing as well as continue healing. His days of being a top 5 LB in the NFL are over but I still think he will be above average starter with time. Hopefully we wreak havoc this year and he resigns cheap, holding true to his comments he loves Carolina and just wants to win.

Archived