• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Competency Trumps Continuity

Zod

Dumbing it down? Correct yourself fool. All The Panthers did was cut down on the verbiage and gimmicky, flashy plays. If that equals 'dumbing it down' then I don't think you have grasped the concept of slow-witted. Furthermore, stop talking as if we only have two options here. We can be sexy AND efficient.

I think you are too used to defending the offense to be objective.  Dumbing down is often used phrase.  Taking out a lot of verbiage, flashy plays, gimmicky plays and running simpler plays is exactly what I was talking about.

• Pie 1

The argument that hiring a new OC would result in the offense not being prepared early on in the season is BS. Cam and the rest of the offense learned Chud's scheme in a shortened and irregular offseason due to the lockout. Can even made the transition from a college spread option to a more pro style offense during this time. Give them a true offseason and there shouldn't have been problems.

The real reason for the Shula hire, as xerxes mentioned, is what quality OC wanted to take a one year deal to coach under what is essentially a head coach on a one year deal? Gettleman and JR were only interested in hiring an OC to a one year contract. What kind of message does that send?

Hiring Shula was the only move left and the continuity aspect was given to try to ease the fears of the fan base. Everyone knows Shula's trackrecord as an OC. Most hoped he learned from Chud and had grown while fearing he was the same coach he has always been.

Now I'm the last person to blame coaches as I spent 8 years as one myself (HS) but this isn't just on the coaching. Shula is who we feared he would be and management is ultimately to blame. They handcuffed Rivera and this is the result. Gettleman will get his wish and hire the coach that he wants.

• Pie 2

The woes of our offense aren't limited to coaching, but it sure is a starting point.  In hindsight (after four games), it seems like an outside choice would have been preferable.  Maybe a coach with a good history who had a bad year and got canned?  Someone who wanted to prove something?  Did Cam Cameron get a job this year?  Or possibly a position coach with a great play calling/scheming talent?

I mean, it comes down to Shula not adjusting, scheming or calling the right plays in a given situation.  Our offense will have these moments of "Holy crap, we're getting it together" followed by hours of "WTF?!?!"

I think Cam did really well in Chud's offense his first two years.  Complex plays and all.  I thought the goal this off season was to play faster?  When we play faster/uptempo, we play A LOT better.  I'd like to see that happen.  Go with speed, and if we pile up the points, unleash the Kracken!  Wasn't that the goal?  Why aren't we there?  

I think if Shula is gonna be your OC....

Your GM better be smart enough to go do something with an offensive line.

Gettlemen somehow gets a pass. F that, he is part of it too. There was enough tape on our OL and Shula to know our OL.....would be a major issue. Gettlemen allowed us to have enter with weak starters and no depth.

In order for Shula to be able to be a decent OC...he needs certain things. He doesn't have those things.

• Pie 1

Yeah it wasn't really a choice. What quality OC wants to join the staff of a lame duck coach?

The argument that hiring a new OC would result in the offense not being prepared early on in the season is BS. Cam and the rest of the offense learned Chud's scheme in a shortened and irregular offseason due to the lockout. Can even made the transition from a college spread option to a more pro style offense during this time. Give them a true offseason and there shouldn't have been problems.

The real reason for the Shula hire, as xerxes mentioned, is what quality OC wanted to take a one year deal to coach under what is essentially a head coach on a one year deal? Gettleman and JR were only interested in hiring an OC to a one year contract. What kind of message does that send?

Hiring Shula was the only move left and the continuity aspect was given to try to ease the fears of the fan base. Everyone knows Shula's trackrecord as an OC. Most hoped he learned from Chud and had grown while fearing he was the same coach he has always been.

Now I'm the last person to blame coaches as I spent 8 years as one myself (HS) but this isn't just on the coaching. Shula is who we feared he would be and management is ultimately to blame. They handcuffed Rivera and this is the result. Gettleman will get his wish and hire the coach that he wants.

This and this x1000.  The fault lies with Jerry Richardson, again, by not getting rid of the coach along with the GM. No OC worth a damn was going to come in here on a one year deal. I for one had hoped that Shula had learned since his TB and Bama days.  The lack of in-game adjustments is astounding.

CRA,

You are right. That's why I said that everyone knew what Shula was. Everyone knew what kind of offense he was going to run. Gettleman gave him the bare minimum to succeed and when he and ultimately the team and Rivera fail, Gettleman gets what he wants.....the opportunity to hire the HC that he wants instead of the one he was given.

I am not all for firing people and things of that nature but Gettleman should have had his choice of the coaching staff. I am hoping Shula gets it together but so far it is not looking good. It is not just coaching though. When we finally call the right plays, our players seem to forget how to play football. We are 1-3 with plenty of football left. I just hope we can turn it around and make a run. One question, I was hearing a lot that the Panthers were only willing to sign an OC to a one year contract. Where is everyone getting that from?