• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

San Francisco

Scrumtrilescent

Here all week for a conference.  Never stayed here that long so gimme some ideas of where to go and what to do.  One of my BD guys with us used to live out here back in the day but things have changed since 1878.  Staying in the Financial District/Le Meridien if that helps.

http://www.harrisrestaurant.com/

This is my favorite steakhouse in the world so far. Not sure exactly what it was but I had the best meal and they have a great wine list.

If more casual try North Beach Pizza which I thought was a great dive pizza dive and pretty close to you.

If you aren't looking for food then have a walk around. You can kind of do a circle around and stay on the flat parts which is what some people recommend.

Lombardi street is not that exciting.

Got a little stir crazy during the first workshop, I guess too much sciency stuff and so I decided to wander/run around a bit to stretch my legs.  Ran along the Embarcadero from the hotel.  Said what the heck, so followed the bay around to Fort Mason.  Saw the dome of the Palace of the Fine Arts so I headed that way.  I was already near the Presidio and we all know what a huge Star Wars fan I am, so I ran around that joint until I found the itty bitty Yoda statue and took a pic of it, then said well I'm this close to the Golden Gate, I might as well see if I can get there.  Once there I was kinda disappointed there wasn't a kaiju tearing poo up, so I decided to head back.  I saw the sign for the Lombard Gate so I headed that way knowing it takes you all the way to the other side of town which is where we're staying.  Besides, it's that cool hilly street so why not.  fug, that was a mistake but I made it up, then a controlled fall down until I found myself in a dead end in some park.  I knew the hotel was near the Transamerica building so I stumbled that way until I found Battery St.  My feet are sore, but it's sort of how I like to discover a new city, Forest Gump-style.  

Now my back is sore, and I'm hungry.  Time to go get 10 dollar beers and get a massage from the really nice Asian guys waving and giggling at me on my way back.  They seem legit.

Im right down the street in san jose for business this week. People keep telling me to check out santa cruz. Im seriously contemplating moving out here. Yosiminee on one side, lake tahoe on the other, and of course san fran and the beaches. And no fuging rain and humidity! Charlotte is kind of a drag

I went to Santa Cruz for a week of training on some UNIX software given by a German named Matthias. The training room had windows literally looking out at the beach and all of us were going nuts. Thursday night all of us stayed up all night and I saw and did things I have not seen or done since. Slept through the entire last day and had to rebook my flight home.

It was a LONG time ago though, I flew into SFO and drove right past the big memorial they were having for Jerry Garcia.

Went back to San Fran in 2004 for Christmas and walked everywhere with my sister, had a dinner cruise that went out to Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate, what a beautiful city - it's my favorite place in the world to visit actually. Wish I could get out there for the 49ers game...have fun!

Angel island and the redwood forest in Marin county are nice hikes, if you have an afternoon open.

starlight room use to have cool live music, but now it's just a $30 cover to hear a DJ play crappy music. Avoid it.

I second the hike at Muir Woods in Marin. Very cool place. Muir Woods used to be the site of the Bohemian Grove meetings. There's even a weird sign commemorating on the trail.

Just relocated up north and here is a couple of suggestions...

Castro District - check out Castro Coffee right down the street from the huge flag, good java from all around.  Also, if you want a really good burger, try Super Duper Burger on Market.

China town - Don't eat at any of the obvious places.  Sure, the food is good but for the real treat, try one of the "basement type" of restaurant.  You'll know it when you find one, it'll be full of locals.  Try off of Jackson or Washington. 

Good steak - You can drive to Cattleman's Restaurant in Dixon.  About 40 minutes away on I-80 towards Sacramento.  SOme of the best steaks to be had and they use the bestest (IMHO) Harris Ranch beef.

Archived