• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

Ruff

I have to admit, I'm a little higher on Jordan Matthews than some around here. But, I believe that where we will be picking, he could be a prime candidate for us. He's a legitimate future #1 receiver in this league, with long strides and an ability to get off the line of scrimmage. However, that's not the biggest high point of Matthews' game. The best thing he does is run routes. He's not a guy who has just used his physical ability to get him by in college, just speeding past guys, out jumping guys, etc. He runs almost flawless routes, whether it be downfield, across the middle, the slant, etc.

Oh, and he's Jerry Rice's cousin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwvITBUVFRY

Here's what CBS Sports says about him:

Matthews, a cousin of the legendary Jerry Rice, is a better football player than he is an athlete. While he led the SEC with a gaudy 19.0 yards-per-catch average last season, he has good (but not great) build-up speed. His size allows him to be moved inside and out in Vandy's offense, allowing the team to find him favorable matchups and has very good hand-eye coordination to haul in tough passes, including one-handed catches.

Already included on the Biletnikof Award watch list as one of the country's top wide receivers, Matthews could continue his ascent up NFL draft boards with a strong junior campaign.

--Rob Rang

im not that big on him.love the production, but he struggled getting separation vs NFL caliber DBs. just look at the game Sat vs Florida, he struggled getting away from Roberson, Purify, Watkins.

You also have to consider the level of QB throwing him the football. Matthews isn't one of the guys who is blessed to have an NFL arm throwing to him, instead, he has to rely on his own ability to make spaces within the defense and get open. He's pretty much a one man show now that Rodgers and Stacy have both moved on to the NFL.

You also have to consider the level of QB throwing him the football. Matthews isn't one of the guys who is blessed to have an NFL arm throwing to him, instead, he has to rely on his own ability to make spaces within the defense and get open. He's pretty much a one man show now that Rodgers and Stacy have both moved on to the NFL.

I have, but this has always been  a knock on him. now he does run good routes at times, but asking him to consistently get vertical is not his strength. would I take him on this team, hell yeah. but not in the first 2 or 3 rounds. I think he is the 5th or 6th ranked SEC WR behind Evans, Moncrief, Landry, DGB, and Beckham.

I have, but this has always been a knock on him. now he does run good routes at times, but asking him to consistently get vertical is not his strength. would I take him on this team, hell yeah. but not in the first 2 or 3 rounds. I think he is the 5th or 6th ranked SEC WR behind Evans, Moncrief, Landry, DGB, and Beckham.

Matthews' game isn't about getting vertical. He's a route runner/possession receiver. He's not going to blaze past you like Mike Wallace. His game is going to be a high-volume, sure handed role, that makes him almost unstoppable in the 8-10 yard range.

If I had to pick one receiver that Jordan is going to look like, Roddy White wouldn't be a bad comparison. Marques Colston is probably closer, though.

Also, you're insane if you think won't go in the late first/early second area.

Matthews' game isn't about getting vertical. He's a route runner/possession receiver. He's not going to blaze past you like Mike Wallace. His game is going to be a high-volume, sure handed role, that makes him almost unstoppable in the 8-10 yard range.

If I had to pick one receiver that Jordan is going to look like, Roddy White wouldn't be a bad comparison. Marques Colston is probably closer, though.

Also, you're insane if you think won't go in the late first/early second area.

Roddy can get vertical up the field and win deep on routes unlike Jordan. A #1 guy in our scheme has to be able to win vertically and that's not his strength. He probably will be drafted in the 1st or 2nd by a team because he fits their scheme.

Archived