• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Week in Riverboat Ron- Bill Barnwell

Udogg

He might want to be called Analytical Ron, but here, he'll always be Riverboat Ron Rivera. And on Sunday, the Panthers added another fourth-down conversion to their long list of short-yardage successes. I'd call it another notch on the bedpost, but Steve Smith might sue me and then beat me up after winning the lawsuit.

Anyway, the Panthers just went through the usual steps. They were up 10-6 in the second quarter and faced a fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line against the Buccaneers, who have the league's eighth-best run defense. Riverboat Ron let the clock wind down before calling a timeout, which remains the only flaw in his fourth-down strategy; he does that more often than not, and it's going to cost Carolina a meaningful timeout some day. When the Panthers came out of the timeout, they lined up to go for it and pulled the Cam Newton diving sneak out of their arsenal; Newton broke the plane of the goal line before the ball was knocked out of his hands, resulting in yet another Panthers touchdown. It was Carolina's seventh successful fourth-and-short conversion of eight meaningful attempts this year, with a drop from Brandon LaFell blemishing the perfect record. Each of the seven conversions has either resulted in a touchdown or extended a drive that would eventually produce a touchdown.

I can't even get angry at Rivera for kicking a field goal on fourth-and-1 in the fourth quarter; there, a 22-yarder from Graham Gano put Carolina up by 21 points with 6:43 to go. Tampa Bay was so interested in trying to mount a comeback after that, Greg Schiano's men punted at the end of a three-and-out on the very next drive.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/84347/thank-you-for-not-coaching-week-13

Who would have thought that our coach's decisions are now becoming a weekly segment?  Well at least as far as being good decisions :).

I don't like Ron Rivera but I love Riverboat. It's like he read a book on analytics and read the forums all in the same week.

Riverboat Ron is to Rivera what Kraken is to Greg Hardy.

Monarch conspiracy theories...ready.....GO!

So it's like Riverboat Ron is the evolved form of Ron Rivera? 

Like Pokemon!!!!

don't judge me.............I have kids..........

Like Pokemon!!!!

I have a kid too.  He is 12 now so those days are gone but I remember that early morning crapp before school.  My favorite was always Squirttle. 

In fact, that is where my kid came from.

Like Pokemon!!!!

I'm 26 years old and I bought a 3DS just so i could play the most recent installment of the franchise every time I take a poo. 

Going well by the way, have a strong starting 6 with 2 badges and about to get a 3rd.

hashtag thug life

because timeouts can be gold in a 2 minute drill and he's right, we have a bad habit of giving a lot of them away.

but a timeout there to get the right play in and to get the team on the same page was worth it, especially if the timeout was to give Cam options at the LOS depending on the defensive set.

Archived