• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"True Detective" HBO Premier

Anybodyhome

Nice article from Shane Ryan about last night's episode and many of the potential theories he or others share.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/02/true-detective-review-the-secret-fate-of-all-life.html

One of the theories that I find interesting is Hart being the Yellow King. It's too extreme of a conclusion to draw at present IMO, but anything seems plausible at this point. 

Wow, the Hart angle definitely seems plausible.  I didn't think about the timing of him stopping Cohle from entering the schoolhouse at the time he did.  Additionally, when he ran up and told him the info on Ledoux, I don't recall seeing him on a walkie or phone at all in the car either. 

And, as I pointed out earlier in the thread, I thought there was something to Hart's sociopathic tendencies.  It's weird how he wants to be a hero to prostitutes and such, but he treats his wife and children like crap... 

It would also explain what appeared to be a lack of forethought when he killed Ledoux... 

But, I think my theory may be more like it. 

I definitely think they're going to incorporate some kind of supernatural, evil element.  BUT, there are also many signs that Cohle hadn't been transformed into evil...  For instance, if he "became" the Yellow King, would he kill Tuttle if Tuttle was actually evil himself?  UNLESS, he killed Tuttle because he actually, sincerely wanted to stop those committing anti-Christian crimes, lol...  But, still...  And if he had been transformed into the Yellow King, considering his past history as a detective, would he be dumb enough to kill people and then start popping back up at the scenes of the crimes he's committing?  I doubt it.  That's too easy.  But, I do have serious questions as to how or why he just disappeared off the map for 8 years - that's where I wonder if there is some supernatural element involved.  AND, he did quote what Ledoux said to him to the present day detectives, so it seems like he bought into it...

Who knows man...  it could go a ton of different directions but, I hope he doesn't turn out to be the killer.

I also think there's a chance Hart's oldest daughter may be wearing some antlers soon...

His family seemed pieced back together and then last night's events occurred, with him slapping his daughter after she had turned into a goth ***** or whatever she was going for. In the present day interviews, he's not wearing his wedding ring (an earlier episode drew light to this as well as he looked at his hand). Something I'm leaning towards, is this daughter becoming the next victim, who Cohle possibly discovers? Hart won't be able to investigate his own daughter's death I wouldn't think, so Cohle takes it on himself to do so? Or he has some connection with. If I'm not mistaken, he has a set of antlers in his apartment in the preview for next week. Maybe her death derails Hart's family, and sets Cohle off on his journey as suspect on the run/rogue detective working the case for all the years he has been gone. 

I also think there's a chance Hart's oldest daughter may be wearing some antlers soon...

His family seemed pieced back together and then last night's events occurred, with him slapping his daughter after she had turned into a goth ***** or whatever she was going for. In the present day interviews, he's not wearing his wedding ring (an earlier episode drew light to this as well as he looked at his hand). Something I'm leaning towards, is this daughter becoming the next victim, who Cohle possibly discovers? Hart won't be able to investigate his own daughter's death I wouldn't think, so Cohle takes it on himself to do so? Or he has some connection with. If I'm not mistaken, he has a set of antlers in his apartment in the preview for next week. Maybe her death derails Hart's family, and sets Cohle off on his journey as suspect on the run/rogue detective working the case for all the years he has been gone. 

Interesting.

Yeah, I thought they were going to off one of the daughters last night when they did the zoom in on the crown they threw up in the tree.  It's clear his daughter is dealing with some issues, so there is something there and again, there is the duality of Hart - rescues hookers and mistresses, but ignores his own wife and abuses, at least physically, his own children.  And I pointed out that he was missing his ring to my wife in that episode as well.

And yet, he's said "the whole time, the answer was right under my nose" line several times now.  Perhaps, there is something more to that as well.

I wish we didn't have to wait a week in between episodes, lol.

As far as Cohle or Hart being in on the killings, I don't buy it.

In one of the "Inside True detective" pieces on HBO, writer Nick Pazzolto (sp?) said he would not classify either as "anti-hero". He said he would call them both genuine Heros because they really are just trying to do what's right.

so hypothetically they could have George Clooney and Denzel as the leads next year with a different storyline and no MM or WH and it still will be called TRUE DETECTIVE? 

Right. It is an anthology series, similar to American Horror Story.

“One of the reasons I wanted to do an anthology format is I like stories with endings,” Pizzolatto said Thursday (Jan. 9). “I like a good third act. And continuing serial dramas, they tend to have really good beginnings and really long middles and then sort of have to hustle to develop an ending. And I like the idea of telling a self-contained story.”

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2014/01/true_detective_writer_nic_pizz_3.html

Damn this show is deep. Marty's oldest daughter is a big key. She is marked by the Yellow King it seems...whoever that is. She made that weird spin wheel symbol painting and those sex drawings so somehow she has been corrupted. Does remind me somewhat of Frailty and the Gods Hand Killer.  

Archived