• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A sticky SALESman thread

Hotsauce

If your in sales, check in here

Rules are:

What do u sell/industry

What's your territory

How long u been selling

Do u travel overnight?

Marriott or Hilton?

1. Soda,fill vending machines, Pepsi

2. Wilksboro to Elkin

3. 3 years in sales, 8 1/2 counting working in warehouse

4. No

5. Na

Sent from my NX008HD8G using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

If your in sales, check in here

Rules are:

What do u sell/industry

What's your territory

How long u been selling

Do u travel overnight?

Marriott or Hilton?

1. Commercial/industrial boiler repair services

2. East of I-95 from Richmond, VA to Myrtle Beach SC

3. 18 years

4. Yes

5. Hilton Honors

6. Company truck

7. Don't have to fly anywhere

8. Cracker Barrel

9. Any rest stop... at my age, getting choosy can cost you dearly.

1. Software (first debt collection, now Human Resources)
  2. Federal Government nationwide
  3. 4 years
  4. I live in DC, and sell to the Federal government. Not much need for overnight travel.
  5. When I was working on a lucrative Department of Education contract a few years ago, with a huge budget and corporate cards, we used to stay in the Grand Hyatt. God those were glorious times. Monsoon showers that took up the entire bathroom, and expensing $50 of Johnny Walker every night. Too bad we lost the contract and all got laid off.
  6. Enterprise
  7. Delta, US Air is always late in DC
  8. On the Education Contract? Ruth's Chris. Now Sweetwater Tavern.
  9. Starbucks, and, for reason, McDonald's, always have nice facilities.

I work in car sales at a VW/Volvo dealership. Been doing car sales just under a year been at my current spot since mid Nov.  I am getting pretty good at it....I say that because I have a question for all you with the big time sales jobs.  How do I get one? I am good with people and can develop a positive relationship with my customers pretty quickly. I am fairly well educated.  I work hard and am highly motivated for success. I was nearly the top sales person last month and am in the lead so far this month.  Would like to be in a sales position with even better income potential.  Any serious suggestions would be appreciated.

1. Software (first debt collection, now Human Resources)
  2. Federal Government nationwide
  3. 4 years
  4. I live in DC, and sell to the Federal government. Not much need for overnight travel.
  5. When I was working on a lucrative Department of Education contract a few years ago, with a huge budget and corporate cards, we used to stay in the Grand Hyatt. God those were glorious times. Monsoon showers that took up the entire bathroom, and expensing $50 of Johnny Walker every night. Too bad we lost the contract and all got laid off.
  6. Enterprise
  7. Delta, US Air is always late in DC
  8. On the Education Contract? Ruth's Chris. Now Sweetwater Tavern.
  9. Starbucks, and, for reason, McDonald's, always have nice facilities.

I work in car sales at a VW/Volvo dealership. Been doing car sales just under a year been at my current spot since mid Nov.  I am getting pretty good at it....I say that because I have a question for all you with the big time sales jobs.  How do I get one? I am good with people and can develop a positive relationship with my customers pretty quickly. I am fairly well educated.  I work hard and am highly motivated for success. I was nearly the top sales person last month and am in the lead so far this month.  Would like to be in a sales position with even better income potential.  Any serious suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm in the market for a newer used car (2011-2012)... what part of the state are you in?

90% of sales is developing and cultivating relationships.

You gotta believe what you're selling is a worthwhile and viable product. If you don't believe in the product, don't sell it, most people can detect BS when they hear it.

You gotta believe who you're selling for is going to take care of you.

After I retired from the Navy I moved to NC and bought my first house. I quickly learned there's a lot to maintaining a house and I wanted to do some remodeling and updating. I taught myself home construction, took some classes and spent a lot of time in the local Lowe's. I applied for a job there and within 6 months was in management. I spent almost 17 years with the company and left in 2011.

I never felt as though I sold something to a customer they didn't want or need. I would never BS a customer and thought it was my responsibility to teach and educate the customer as best I could to help them make their purchase decision. I had a great reputation and was very well known in the small town (16,000) I worked in. I never looked at my job as a sales job, more like just trying to help and educate those who need it.

Find something/product/service you know and get yourself in the door.  A period of time as a proven sales person and you'll find yourself in a sales management job.

I work in car sales at a VW/Volvo dealership. Been doing car sales just under a year been at my current spot since mid Nov. I am getting pretty good at it....I say that because I have a question for all you with the big time sales jobs. How do I get one? I am good with people and can develop a positive relationship with my customers pretty quickly. I am fairly well educated. I work hard and am highly motivated for success. I was nearly the top sales person last month and am in the lead so far this month. Would like to be in a sales position with even better income potential. Any serious suggestions would be appreciated.

If you want to get into business to business sales, you will need to get out of car sales. Car sales is essentially the same as working at Best Buy or any other retail company...where people come to you. A good company is going to be looking for a sales rep who goes out and gets business. Go get a job selling copiers, or selling advertising, something you are beating the streets, lots of in person cold calls....expect to make $45-60k. Do it for 1 year, hit your quota, then move onto a bigger, better company $80-100k+.

Best of luck!

If you want to get into business to business sales, you will need to get out of car sales. Car sales is essentially the same as working at Best Buy or any other retail company...where people come to you. A good company is going to be looking for a sales rep who goes out and gets business. Go get a job selling copiers, or selling advertising, something you are beating the streets, lots of in person cold calls....expect to make $45-60k. Do it for 1 year, hit your quota, then move onto a bigger, better company $80-100k+.

Best of luck!

Car sales have changed....there is a lot of working leads......selling the idea of coming in.  But I understand what you are saying and appreciate you taking the time to respond.  Thanks.  I will work on that plan.

I should clarify. We already knew we were going to lose the contract (because our managing director asked for some totally unrealistic accommodations and pissed them off, and they didn't want to renew our contract out of spite). We all knew our fate, so we figured wed live it up for the last 9 months of the contract before we all lost our jobs. Was crazy, we went from a 250 person division to 80 people in about 1 year because of the lost contract. That's the risk of Federal government work. You either have a billion dollar contract and are on top, or you're out of a job. No middle ground.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived