• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettlemen Combine interview

Jackofalltrades

Info gathered from twitter since NFLN thought SF and the rookie QB class was more important.

Points he made-

Met with Gross twice already, will meet again after Combine

Big men win games

Pointed to specific needs at OL and secondary

Reiterates we will take BPA, doesn't believe in drafting for need

Steve Smith is part of the evaluation process

Hardy is a piece of the puzzle, they're still cap challenged.

I'll add more as I remember and will include links and such.

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 4m

Gettleman: I promise we are going to take best available in the draft.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 4m

Gettleman: Need to improve secondary and offensively -- mentioned OL depth.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 6m

Gettleman: "It's a big man's game. ... Big men win."

Carolina Panthers ‏@Panthers 9m

Gettleman's aim for roster is a mix of "wily veterans" and young players, and of course a quarterback. He reiterates Newton is the answer.

Carolina Panthers ‏@Panthers 11m

Gettleman: "We have to be thoughtful with what we do with every player, with every dollar."

Carolina Panthers ‏@Panthers 11m

Gettleman says Greg Hardy is "part of the puzzle" but reminds that team is cap-challenged. He'll soon find out if 2014 cap will be larger.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 13m

Gettleman has had 2 lengthy conversations with Jordan Gross, who is in Idaho with his family and still mulling his future.

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 13m

When asked about WRs, Gettleman immediately said any other WR is under contract. Didn't say anything about draft

I think Gettleman has done an outstanding job with the cap restraints we were faced with. Our RB current commitment obviously puts us in a bind and ties our hand on what we can do. Although the bright side to that is, D Will and J Stew are very good backs when used correctly. Of course, with J Stew, it's not just using him correctly, it's being able to use him at all. I'm on edge, every day, several times a day, surfing, looking for Carolina Panther info. Who stays, who goes, who comes in, etc...I have confidence in Gettlemen though.

Archived