• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting Mock draft choice.

Udogg

Saw this on yahoo.

28. Carolina Panthers -- Notre Dame TE Troy Niklas

Wideout and offensive line look like bigger needs for Carolina on paper, but Niklas could assist in both areas as an impact in-line blocker with an enormous catch radius. He goes 6-foot-7, 270 with 34 1/8-inch arms, and is built country strong enough to block defensive ends. As the Panthers are short on wideouts, their base 2014 offense would make heavy use of 12 personnel with Niklas and Greg Olsen on the field together. OC Mike Shula is a proponent of smash-mouth offense, and Carolina could assert its will via this new “two-tight” approach, particularly in the running game.

At first I was like.nooo we need OL, WR.  Then thinking about Cam's rookie year when we had Shockey and Olsen.  The OL issues,  our inability to run the ball consistently.   I started thinking, thats some outside the box thinking.  It's like 2 for 1.   I'm not advocating making this move just saying it's interesting and makes you think.   What's your opinion?

original article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pre-free-agency-mock-draft-142500796--nfl.html

If he's BPA then why not? Must admit those two TE sets with Olsen and shockey were pretty awesome to watch. But we do need Oline too aswel as a WR or two, gettleman will do what he feels best, lafell sucks at WR but can block well, how about him for LT?.

Keep in mind Amaro played in the T Tech offense and was essentially a WR. Niklas is a better fit for what we do, I don't see Amaro getting 10 catches a game here in Carolina like he did at Texas, he'd be a better fit for the Pats. Niklas could play inline as a blocker and let Olsen split wide.

Interesting factoid about Niklas, Bruce Matthews is his uncle.

Archived