• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why haven't we made Godfrey a June 1st cut yet?

thunderraiden

I think you answered your own question in the OP. 

Because it doesn't matter right now. Can't use the money until after June 1st.

No need to rush the decision. See how FA and draft shakes out.

Heck, he may just take a pay cut and stay.  We don't know.

Only 2 players can be designated as a post June 1st cut. This takes the current 2014 Bonus money and adds it towards the CAP the salary is dropped. The remainder of the prorated guaranteed money is accelerated to 2015 League Year 

My hunch says that Smith will be designated a June 1st cut if he doesn't take a pay cut

You answered your own question.  June 1st cuts don't help your cap until June 2.

If teams are definitely going to cut someone then it behooves them to cut him early so the player can start looking and the team doesn't have to worry about injuries if the player had to participate in minicamps and off season training since they would still be part of a team.  If they don't do it right away it is likely because they are going to see what happens in free agency or the draft before deciding to cut the player. Until they know what they want to do with Mitchell they likely won't cut Godfrey.  But they could be trying to restructure his contract.    

Here is a site with a discussion about salary cap scenarios.  It was done in 2013 but applies.

http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

IMO, this hasn't happened yet because we don't know what we're doing at safety.  Both Mikell and Mitchell are pending FAs.  I know we want to bring back Mitchell, but we'll see what happens.  If we don't bring him back, what are we doing?  Forcing Godrey to take a pay cut and hanging onto him is one option.  It's not an option I like, but it's an option.

You realize that a player can be cut and designated as a 6/1 cut before 6/1, right? 

But there is no advantage to your cap to do that.  As I noted teams can designate 2 players who they plan to cut anyway as a June 1st cut before June 1st to solve the injury issue if they got hurt in minicamps, for example.  Plus the player can start looking for another team.  But the cap doesn't change until June 2nd even if you designate him a June 1st cut earlier than that date.

But there is no advantage to your cap to do that.  As I noted teams can designate 2 players who they plan to cut anyway as a June 1st cut before June 1st to solve the injury issue if they got hurt in minicamps, for example.  Plus the player can start looking for another team.  But the cap doesn't change until June 2nd even if you designate him a June 1st cut earlier than that date.

Right.  It's really a favor to the player to do this move.  It's one of those situations where if you know it's going to happen, you can give the guy a better chance to find another job.  If you know it's going to happen, it's kind of a dick move not to do it for your guy.  However, in our case, I don't think we know for sure it's going to happen.  I think there's a really good chance of it, but I don't think G'man is 100% on it yet.

Archived