• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At 12-4 were we not supposed to make a push and go "All In"?

charlottenian

R1a8N52l.jpg?2

I was puzzled about the Steve Smith cut.  I guess I was hoping that both he and Jordan could get a ring here before they hung up their cleats.  That dream was dash, so it took a while to get over that reality.  I 've come to terms that I have no control of what the Front Office is doing.  What's been done has been done.  All I can do is hope for the best for the team we are all emotionally and some finacially vested in.  (Its time to move on.)  Well, atleast for me.  

We know that continuity and chemistry are important factors in a  team success,  That's why some of us are a little apprehensive by this much turnover after a succesful season.  Will this be a competitive team this year or will this be a  season where players gain experience but fans would consider it a lost season. With the new players coming in, I'm excited  about who will become contributors to the team success. This is going to be an interesting season with all of the subplots.

That's why this is a good place for us to vent our frustrations, since we have no bearings on what the Front Office is doing.  All we can do is vent, be armchair general managers and hope Gettleman gets us were we want to be.

For the first time since Cam got here.       We may actually start building around him.   Replacing some of the older pieces..

About 89,  are we sure that the Big Cat wasn't the one responsible for his release?  Maybe the idea of 89,  the once face of the franchise being forced into a lesser role on a team that he made somewhat popular,   made the Big Cat feel.........  bad?                      Wasn't Delhomme released also, because the idea of Delhomme being a back-up,  just didn't sit too well...     

We were the third best team in the NFC. Remember that team from SF that kicked the sh!t out of us in the playoffs?

That team achieved it's maximum potential last year, and I, for one, am glad not to see opportunity for future upgrades rather than overpaying for mediocre talent.

Just do the math: add the contracts of the players we lost in FA against the current cap, and try to think:

- how in hell's name we would get under the cap

- we even would add expensive pieces to that cap

And how do you extend Cam and Luke

No, we were not.  To answer your question.

DG was hired to "right the ship", we just happened to go 12-4 last season.  That wasn't supposed to happen, and I doubt it happens again this season.

That said, DG has to get some of the shitty contracts off the books, and that is this season.  DG will now start to build for the future with young talent, while locking up our top in house talent like Cam, Luke, and possibly Hardy.

Going "all in" as you put it, would be exactly what Hurney would do, and it's the wrong call.  We are not as good as Seattle and San Fran yet, but we have to look out over the next 3-5 years and figure out how to build a strong team like they have.  It all starts with shedding fan favorites, who are on far too expensive contracts, then building around Cam and Luke.

These are the right calls, and we may be worse this coming season, but in 2 years we may be the class of the NFC.  I want to get to a consistency like the Pats....and you don't get that way by overpaying average and old players.

Seahawks

Cliff Avril and Michael Bennet aren't exactly "all in" signings.  They came in on the cheap side for 1 and 2 year deals.

Harvin you can make a point for, but he pretty much contributed nothing all season.  Hurt all year and they would have won that superbowl with or without his kick return.

did you watch our WR core last year?? It was brutal

Problem with that is with that same group, minus Ted Ginn, we had the 12th overall offense in 2012.

Then in 2013 with basically the same offense, and Ted Ginn coming in, we ended up 26th overall. The main difference between those two seasons? Mike Shula.

To me it was a combination. Shula has to change this year, or it won't matter who our receivers are.

I do not believe that we still use the "barter system"and cannot trade soy beans and eastern bar-b-q instead of cash for a contract. We are counting pennies and there is going to be "no all in" happening this year or probably next year either.

Archived