• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Proehl at Oregon State today

Ruff

From what I have seen with cooks is the fact that he is a great space player but that is not whats gonna happen in the NFL. A team like Seattle will jam him at the line and take him right out the game. He rarely saw press coverage in college. And if tavon Austin was catching on last year I liked to know when becauz most of his highlights were gadget design plays to get him the ball and special teams. I think OBJ would be a better fit for us and I have seen him rated higher a lot places too.

From what I have seen with cooks is the fact that he is a great space player but that is not whats gonna happen in the NFL. A team like Seattle will jam him at the line and take him right out the game. He rarely saw press coverage in college. And if tavon Austin was catching on last year I liked to know when becauz most of his highlights were gadget design plays to get him the ball and special teams. I think OBJ would be a better fit for us and I have seen him rated higher a lot places too.

Is OBJ actually better against the jam though? I can only go by cut-up tapes, but Cooks seemed to handle the jam fine. OBJ has weaker upper body strength.

I was pretty high on Tavon last year but after seeing that small body get manhandled at the line of scrimmage by dbs I now see it is much easier to get these guys(not named Smitty) in space in college than it is in the NFL. I think if you have a creative OC (which we do not) it could work in certain packages.

There are a few ways you can help your kid out. Put him in the slot, get him moving presnap are just two of many. To me, it comes down to one of your guiding principles. Design him some plays where he has a chance of success. Do what he can do until he can do what we do do.

As for getting off jams? Some guys are just better than others. Some guys just have less problem, while some guys struggle. Yes it is possible to get better, hence the "Takes a few years" value on WR. Because it takes strength, desire, and skill to beat a good press. Traits most kids haven't mastered as yet.

That said. A good press is hard to find, even in a teams #1. You also have to take into account the scheme, and even the pass rush. Do they play zone, or man? With our pass rush, we mainly play zone, stick by your man, keep the play in front of you, don't give up the big play, and never let them score. So we don't press as much as teams with say, competent, CB play. Just a money thing right now.

For the first time in a while I am pretty sure we will be picking a High Value WR in the draft. With Cotchery, Underwood, Pilares, King, and McNutt. Shula gots his hands full.

I was pretty high on Tavon last year but after seeing that small body get manhandled at the line of scrimmage by dbs I now see it is much easier to get these guys(not named Smitty) in space in college than it is in the NFL. I think if you have a creative OC (which we do not) it could work in certain packages.

Oops.

Gettleman said one of the reasons it was time for Smitty to go was becuz he felt like Smitty lost the elite athletiscm that put him over the top for a receiver his size. Cooks is not on smittys level so I just can't see us drafting him to replace Smitty. Just depends on what they think his role will be

Gettleman said one of the reasons it was time for Smitty to go was becuz he felt like Smitty lost the elite athletiscm that put him over the top for a receiver his size. Cooks is not on smittys level so I just can't see us drafting him to replace Smitty. Just depends on what they think his role will be

Cooks compares very well to Smith and was better in most combine measurables.

Cooks compares very well to Smith and was better in most combine measurables.

You know what I'm talking about... you can't compare his combine to what Smitty has done over his career. Physicality, durability, toughness there isn't a comparison.

Cooks is better than Austin and I loved Austin last year

Cooks is a more complete, polished WR..I know I was drooling on Austin's highlight reel.

Cooks is also a tougher, stronger WR who catches over the middle and in traffic well where I do see the Smitty comparisons.

Tavon is a guy who has to work in space..so it is why I kinda think Sammy Watkins is good but overrated bc he got 75% of his plays seemingly from bubble screens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

You know what I'm talking about... you can't compare his combine to what Smitty has done over his career. Physicality, durability, toughness there isn't a comparison.

Cooks gets checks in all those boxes as well. he never missed a game in 3 years, not afraid to go across the middle, mentally and physically tough. the comparison is actually really close then some would like to admit. plus he put up great combine numbers to support how athletic he is.

Archived