• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

North Korea declares war on the US

Darth Biscuit

I'm not kidding...  

Over a movie...

It turns out that North Korea doesn’t find much humor in a big-screen comedy about the assassination of its leader. The movie The Interviewis set to hit theaters in October and stars James Franco and Seth Rogen as a talk-show host and his producer who, after landing an interview with Kim Jong Un, are drafted by the CIA to kill him. Today, North Koreareleased a strongly worded statement through its state-run news agency, saying, “If the United States administration tacitly approves or supports the release of this film, we will take a decisive and merciless countermeasure.” The statement also described the movie as “an act of war that we will never tolerate.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/north-korea-calls-the-seth-rogen-james-franco-comedy-89863655502.html

Yeah I get it's satire, but since I first saw this trailer it seemed needlessly provocative. Even the great Charlie Chaplin knew you didn't parody a despot by name, as in The Great Dictator. Of course a world leader isn't going to take it lightly when a movie centers around him or her being assassinated. Just as I imagine Americans wouldn't take it lightly if a movie from Iran was a comedy about assassinating Obama, of even Bush during his presidency.

It just seems needlessly inflammatory to make a movie about killing not just a Kim-Jong-Un-like character, but Kim Jong Un himself.

Archived