• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Training Camp Tips

Jeremy Igo

Good stuff Jeremy, here are a few more tips on autographs from someone who has been highly successful. I'm a grown-ass man who has had Steve Smith sign things for me on numerous occasions and take pictures (and if you know Smitty, that's saying something) simply because I'm not an ass about it. 

1. If you find yourself pushing past children to get an autograph, you need to seriously re-evaluate your priorities and possibly seek professional counseling... no need to continue reading at this point. 
  2. If a guy ignores you or even says "no", deal with it. Autographs are courtesy, not an obligation and you are not entitled. If your not selling it on eBay to buy your wife some false teeth it shouldn't be that big of a deal... move on. Whatever you do, don't be a dick about it... you would be surprised how well these guys remember people who get salty and you'll quickly find yourself black listed. 
  3. Don't expect to have more than one thing signed and don't expect them to use your special glitter pen if they already have a pen in their hand. If you have some expensive merchandise that you want signed for display with a special pen (ex. silver pen on the black numbers) it should be worth it to you to wait for more controlled setting and possibly even pay a fee and stand in line at a signing to get exactly what you want. 

Edited by CatMan72
  • Pie 2

My advice. If you want an autograph, and you paid gas money to get there, do want you can to get one. Don't hit the children, but just remember, what did they sacrifice to get an autograph? You are older and will die sooner, therefore need to allowed these simple pleasures sooner than later so you can have some semblance of happiness to make up for all those hard hours you have worked through out the week (kids are on summer vacation, what work?) When I was 11, I had to tough my way next to some adults and I didn't complain, nor did they and we both got stuff signed.

Don't get me wrong, nothing against kids, I hope all end up getting some autographs. But why should they get it over you? Because their kids? psh. You've been standing out there in that blistering heat also, everybody deserves fair shot.

- Sincerely, somebody who is impartial

• Pie 1

My advice. If you want an autograph, and you paid gas money to get there, do want you can to get one. Don't hit the children, but just remember, what did they sacrifice to get an autograph? You are older and will die sooner, therefore need to allowed these simple pleasures sooner than later so you can have some semblance of happiness to make up for all those hard hours you have worked through out the week (kids are on summer vacation, what work?) When I was 11, I had to tough my way next to some adults and I didn't complain, nor did they and we both got stuff signed.

Don't get me wrong, nothing against kids, I hope all end up getting some autographs. But why should they get it over you? Because their kids? psh. You've been standing out there in that blistering heat also, everybody deserves fair shot.

- Sincerely, somebody who is impartial

No. Grown ass men should not care that much about an autograph. Kids look up to these players and should get theirs first.

• Pie 2

If someone really cares about getting an autograph they have every right to stand there looking silly with the children. Just don't be a jerk about it. Some parents use their kids for autographs and that is the same thing to me. They just avoid the shame of standing there begging someone younger than them for a second of their time.

Cam does not sign for every single person. On any given day there is 2-7 thousand people that would love to have a Cam Newton autograph. Waiting in the prime spots with nothing to do for hours helps your chances but it guarantees you nothing. I would gladly trade a signature to enjoy my day in the sun watching guys fight for their livelihood. Cam did say he prefers to sign for people that are excited, but don't make an ass of yourself.

In Gibbs Stadium Zod pointed out the prime Autograph side. This is true but in 2013 they taped off the best seats for "VIPs". There are still many good seats but the supply is much smaller than the demand. You must arrive early.

If you send your children into the fray, keep a close eye on them. Don't let them disrespect adults or other children. And don't let them get bullied. People go nuts for Autographs, my 5 year old was excited at first but soon became frightened. It can be a mele like that time Tom Cruise pulled that kid over a fence.

Watch your kids with the markers too. My 5 year old drew a line on her Panthers Jersey with a sharpie with all the pushing and shoving. Byron Bell took off his shoes to give to the kids and people started trying to push her out of the way. When she received the shoe she tried to put it on the ground because she is 5. So just keep an eye out for their behavior and safety.

Fair warning. Even the most excited kids lose interest during practice. If you are on the hill they will run around in packs like feral animals. Bringing a football or Frisbee to toss around is a great idea if they find some open space.

Some of the best days to go are during the rain. It's very relaxing. If you wear under armour type clothes then getting a little wet shouldn't bother you. Just leave the electronics in the car.

There are drinks and hot dogs on site. They are fairly low priced and fairly low quality. (relative to sporting events)

I would never recommend going to training camp with expectations for an autograph. There are just better ways to get them. Don't be the guy that drives 6 hours for an autograph and holds a grudge when you don't get one. Veterans sign the fewest autographs in my experience. 

She got this for being polite and encouraging.

4Ew4xUW.jpg

Edited by KendrickPanther
  • Pie 7