• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pats claim RB Tyler Gaffney off waivers

UNCrules2187

You are correct. They can go 6 weeks into the season on pup and then be tossed to IR. You will see how the Patriots play it.

Gettleman was trying to save a few bucks on the salary cap and lost Gaffney.

That's not what happened to Ballard. Look it up. I don't claim to understand how or why but that's what everything says.

Apparently :rolleyes:

He was out for the year. 

No matter what happened, he was going to make 96K and contribute nothing.

If this were any other team, I'd say no way.  But Belichick is notorious for doing stuff just to be an a--hole.

I hope Bill has a date with destiny.  And by destiny I mean a scorching case of gonorrhea.  Not that Gaffney was going to be the next Barry Sanders, but just because he quite possibly could be the biggest dick in sports.

Belichick_lol_fullsize.jpg?91c651f8

That's not what happened to Ballard. Look it up. I don't claim to understand how or why but that's what everything says.

I guess I misunderstood the rule. I knew they had to sit out 6 weeks if placed on regular season pup then you had a 21 day window to activate but I was under the impression they would then shift to IR. Apparently they must just remain on pup for the rest of the year if not activated at that point.

I guess I misunderstood the rule. I knew they had to sit out 6 weeks if placed on regular season pup then you had a 21 day window to activate but I was under the impression they would then shift to IR. Apparently they must just remain on pup for the rest of the year if not activated at that point.

It sounds like there are different types of PUP but nothing I read does a good job of explaining it.

No you didn't.

Ballard was placed on IR after week six of the 2012 season, per NFL rules.

He went back on PUP in July of 2013, and was removed from it the same day the Pats put Rob Gronkowski and Julian Edelman there.  He was cut outright a short time later.

You can't put someone on PUP for an entire season.

So they did have him on the 53 man roster. However they claimed him in June when the injury was during the Super Bowl. There was a reasonable chance he could be ready to play by the end of his first PUP stint.  It does not sound like Gaffney has a chance to play this season....or are the Pats gambling on that possibility?

You're a fuging moron

Why? You have one of the 4 best QBs in the NFL, a poo ton of draft picks every year, you play in the weak ass AFC East.

No Super Bowl wins in a decade, and none in a year Tom Brady has thrown 30+ TDs in a season.

Why are they so great again? Cause they pad the wins in the AFC East?

So they did have him on the 53 man roster. However they claimed him in June when the injury was during the Super Bowl. There was a reasonable chance he could be ready to play by the end of his first PUP stint.  It does not sound like Gaffney has a chance to play this season....or are the Pats gambling on that possibility?

They know he's not playing this season.

Either they think he's worth waiting a year for or Belichick just wanted to be a prick.

I'm leaning toward option two (there's precedent).

Haha, nope not true at all.

This was kind of a stupid move, but it is not that big a deal.

Ah yes, remember all the big name 5h, 6th and 7th round draft picks on the Giants, Ravens and Packers their SB years?

Me either

Alright lets start with this past Super Bowl: (Since it is recent I put players on there that started but you may not know)

Luke Willson, Kam Chancellor, K.J. Wright, Richard Sherman, Malcolm Smith, Walter Thurmond, Red Bryant, J.R. Sweezy, Julius Thomas, Danny Trevathan, and Malik Jackson.

Okay, now for the 4 Super Bowls prior to Seattle v Denver: (Only listing the players you should know if you follow football)

Dennis Pitta, Delanie Walker, NaVorro Bowman, Ray McDonald, Isaac Sopoaga, Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs, Domenik Hixon, David Diehl, Aaron Hernandez, Julian Edelman, Tom Brady, Donald Driver, Jermichael Finley, Scott Wells, Hines Ward, Antonio Brown, Ike Taylor, Brett Keisel, Chris Kemoeatu, Marques Colston, Jahri Evans, Zach Strief, Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, Clint Session, Antoine Bethea, Robert Mathis, Raheem Brock, Antonio Johnson, and Ryan Diem.

Pro Bowlers are in bold so you don't miss them. Once you hit the end of the 3rd round near the compensatory picks, that is where you measure a GMs success. Their picks up to #90 should never be a miss. So, that is where you measure a GMs failures. When the GMs failures outweigh their success you know to start looking for a new GM.

There are more, but you would not know who they are even though they started for a Super Bowl team.

All teams with GMs that keep their teams stocked year in and year out.

Archived