• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

why would you fear that? as long as it happens.

i think that it will definitely take the passing game to open up the run game, but i don't see that as a bad thing. it's just something that needs to happen, but isn't that unusual. usually either the run game is needed to open up the passing game or the passing game is opening up the run game. it doesn't really matter which of those happens just as long as both parts of the game opens up. it's incredibly rare to have a team that doesn't need one to open up the other.

the main reason I am concerned about it is that I think that in our case it would likely mean Cam will be our primary threat in the running game.  by no means do I think we should take away his ability on the ground ,it'd just be nice if we could establish a run game that didn't require he do so much heavy lifting.

it's incredibly rare to have a team that doesn't need one to open up the other.

i agree. but the difference is stark when a team becomes one of those rare ones that can be one-dimensional and still succeed. the Saints were that way for a while. the Colts and Patriots of the last decade. they all usually didnt have a run-game and still succeeded. but like you said, those types of teams are rare. 

the Panthers dont seem to be set up that way this year. the passing game will be necessary to open up the run, but the run has to perform or i think the Panthers risk being exposed and shut down. 

i still hold out hope that the run protection can be fixed (both offensively and defensively) before Week 1. after all... wasnt it just a few weeks ago that we were all saying how powerful we thought the run game would be, and how powerful our front 7 is in defense? I think we will be okay. this Panthers team could be downright scary for their opponents this year. 

so much potential. the passing offense looks to take a huge leap forward (if the protection can stay consistently good like it was friday night), the rushing offense (if we can get the protection worked out) has the potential to be much better, our starting front 7 is returning on defense, and it seems as though the pass defense is at least as good as last year. its all in potential right now, but this could be one scary fuggin team this year. i am excited

This team has the most weapons it's seen in over a decade. Shula better come through this year.

I agree

They may be unknown as far as being a Panthers but I believe they are a good mix for us. Rookies with a high ceiling and veterans with sure hands.  Add Dickson and Williams to Olsen in the TEs and a healthy Stewart (asking a lot) and Williams that is all sorts of toys. 

will be interesting to see what happens to Shula next. His older brother, Dave Shula, was like Lane Kiffin in that they became NFL Head Coaches in their early 30's (31 and 32). Dave Shula did so bad (lost 50 games faster than any NFL coach in history) he left football and joined the family steakhouse business

Ironically last time I took customers to Shula's Steakhouse in Chicago I was disappointed. The steaks were meh and the sides were mediocre.

Sent from my iPhizzle while pooping using CarolinaHizzle

I agree

They may be unknown as far as being a Panthers but I believe they are a good mix for us. Rookies with a high ceiling and veterans with sure hands.  Add Dickson and Williams to Olsen in the TEs and a healthy Stewart (asking a lot) and Williams that is all sorts of toys. 

yeah, the size and talent is there for receiving threats.  my main concern is if the run game will show up.  or if Shula can figure out how to keep a defense off balance enough mask it.

yeah, the size and talent is there for receiving threats.  my main concern is if the run game will show up.  or if Shula can figure out how to keep a defense off balance enough mask it.

If we can get through the first 4 games or so (and win 3 of 4) I think our O-Line will really Gel and our running game will pick up.  I just feel the chemistry isn't there yet on the line.  I would rather see DWill, Tolbert, Stewart and Reaves doing the running.

"Shula happy with his new toys" brings to mind a mental image of a kid all excited about his fancy Hot Wheels track with all kinds of loops and jumps and poo, but he can only figure out how to build an oval track and the cars keep falling off.

i agree. but the difference is stark when a team becomes one of those rare ones that can be one-dimensional and still succeed. the Saints were that way for a while. the Colts and Patriots of the last decade. they all usually didnt have a run-game and still succeeded. but like you said, those types of teams are rare. 

the Panthers dont seem to be set up that way this year. the passing game will be necessary to open up the run, but the run has to perform or i think the Panthers risk being exposed and shut down. 

i still hold out hope that the run protection can be fixed (both offensively and defensively) before Week 1. after all... wasnt it just a few weeks ago that we were all saying how powerful we thought the run game would be, and how powerful our front 7 is in defense? I think we will be okay. this Panthers team could be downright scary for their opponents this year. 

so much potential. the passing offense looks to take a huge leap forward (if the protection can stay consistently good like it was friday night), the rushing offense (if we can get the protection worked out) has the potential to be much better, our starting front 7 is returning on defense, and it seems as though the pass defense is at least as good as last year. its all in potential right now, but this could be one scary fuggin team this year. i am excited

Funny

The run game was so poor, and the passing options so bad, the Panther offense was basically Cam, Olsen and Tolbert. So they really had neither to rely on (though the passing game was more reliable than any Non CAm run, if you can even say that).

Hopefully, this year the passing game will be much better as many of us expect. And let's hope this opens things up for the running game (either because of it's success, and/or the way defenses play the run game). This time they should have some people who Cam can throw to and catch the ball.

The "If you take away this and then take away that and then take this away also the numbers aren't very good" is a weak argument.

Yes. If you subtract large portions of production from people/team stats, suddenly the overall stats aren't as good.

Archived