• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Inside the Panthers Run D

CPantherKing

People are already writing off the Panthers run defense. What has changed? Was Greg Hardy that important to the run defense from a defensive end position? The answer is no. The run defense is the same. Greg Hardy would have been on the other side of the field or in the backfield with the opposing teams offensive tackle on the runs that have gashed the Panthers defense up the middle to start this season.

It is time for some new hope with the Panthers run defense, and I am here to deliver that to anyone who sees dark days ahead for the Panthers defense. Instead, I am offering you a run defense that will be trending upward for the remainder of the season.

Consider the following:

The Panthers defense has given up 4 runs totaling 274 yards this season, which skews the statistics for total rushing yards. Those 4 runs are the difference between a 29th ranked run defense and a top 10 run defense.

Interesting note is that the Panthers defense has given up 15 runs for 20+ yards in 2013 and 2014 (22 games). 67% of those runs came against AFC Teams. Panthers have played AFC Teams in 7 of 22 games (32%).

Are you seeing a pattern?

Let's put an exclamation point on the run defenses problem that everyone is so fired up about.

The Panthers have given up 100+ rushing yards to 9 of 22 teams. The top 7 worst rushing defensive performances for the Panthers are:

1. Steelers
2. Bengals
3. Jets
4. Bills
5. Ravens
6. Saints
7. Patriots

AFC Teams run for 100+ yards on the Panthers defense 86% of the time (NFC 20%).

Panthers run defense has given up 2232 yards and 10 TDs in 22 games. AFC teams have accounted for 1049 yards and 8 TDs in 7 games. That is 47% of the rushing yardage and 80% of the rushing TDs in 32% of the games.

Seems to me the defense is not as prepared for the running games of AFC teams. They are likely putting a majority of their planning and preparation time into division and conference opponents in the off-season/preseason.

There is one glaring weakness in the Panthers run defense that they must fix immediately, and I expect to see more teams aim for this weakness. The Panthers give up a majority of their rushing yardage on big runs when they have an opposing team near their own red zone. The opposing offense will go heavy on one side (typically to the left). The play is a weak side counter/scissor play. They get the Panthers defense to slide the DL to the strong side and then slant to the strong side gaps. This places the weak side DT over the center and responsible for the strong side A gap. The weak side LB is now responsible for the weak side A gap and the safety is now set up for the weak side B gap. The DE contains the C gap. If both OGs are allowed a free release to the second level and get 6 yards deep on the weak side LB, then the RB has 3 angles of attack with only 2 defenders within 5 yards of the RB. Ron Rivera must address and correct this issue to stop the big runs with the opposing offense up against their own goal line.

CJ Spiller did this to the Panthers defense at the start of the 2013 season. LeGarrette Blount did this to the Panthers with the Patriots in 2013 and the Steelers in 2014. The Buccaneers fullback did this to the Panthers to start the 2014 season. Giovanni Bernard hammered this issue home last Sunday. The time has come to stop this from being a point of attack for other offenses with a long field staring them in the face.

Goodbye AFC teams! With 9 NFC teams remaining (5 divisional), I would lean toward fans seeing a much stronger run defense for the remainder of the season. A run defense that will remind us that the Panthers still have one of the stronger run defenses in the NFL.

A new hope for all Panthers fans!

Well, I disagree with one thing.  Greg Hardy would most certainly help the run defense.  He wasn't a one trick pony that just pushed OTs into the backfield toward the QB.  He was very good at diagnosing run plays and plugging his gaps, and slicing down the line to make tackles even when they're not to his side.  On some of those big runs, instead of a big gap with a G on the LBs, it woulda been Hardy taking the space stopping the run.  I'm not saying with Hardy in our Run D would be as good as last year, there's got to be multiple factors in a problem so big, but losing him is the single largest contributor to the decline in my opinion.

Greg Hardy was one of our best run defenders from last year on this team and commanded double teams on the outside allowing DTs too stuff the middle and as a result of this our linebackers were able to freely roam about and diagnose the inside gaps and contain the outside while staying unblocked in zone coverage.i would like to see the offensive line game plan for Greg Hardy and KK Short lined up beside one another,all i can say is good luck getting an offensive linemen downfield too block but i do agree we are going to have to make adjustments due to Hardys absence.

People are already writing off the Panthers run defense. What has changed? Was Greg Hardy that important to the run defense from a defensive end position? The answer is no. The run defense is the same. Greg Hardy would have been on the other side of the field or in the backfield with the opposing teams offensive tackle on the runs that have gashed the Panthers defense up the middle to start this season.

It is time for some new hope with the Panthers run defense, and I am here to deliver that to anyone who sees dark days ahead for the Panthers defense. Instead, I am offering you a run defense that will be trending upward for the remainder of the season.

Consider the following:

The Panthers defense has given up 4 runs totaling 274 yards this season, which skews the statistics for total rushing yards. Those 4 runs are the difference between a 29th ranked run defense and a top 10 run defense.

Interesting note is that the Panthers defense has given up 15 runs for 20+ yards in 2013 and 2014 (22 games). 67% of those runs came against AFC Teams. Panthers have played AFC Teams in 7 of 22 games (32%).

Are you seeing a pattern?

Let's put an exclamation point on the run defenses problem that everyone is so fired up about.

The Panthers have given up 100+ rushing yards to 9 of 22 teams. The top 7 worst rushing defensive performances for the Panthers are:

1. Steelers
2. Bengals
3. Jets
4. Bills
5. Ravens
6. Saints
7. Patriots

AFC Teams run for 100+ yards on the Panthers defense 86% of the time (NFC 20%).

Panthers run defense has given up 2232 yards and 10 TDs in 22 games. AFC teams have accounted for 1049 yards and 8 TDs in 7 games. That is 47% of the rushing yardage and 80% of the rushing TDs in 32% of the games.

Seems to me the defense is not as prepared for the running games of AFC teams. They are likely putting a majority of their planning and preparation time into division and conference opponents in the off-season/preseason.

There is one glaring weakness in the Panthers run defense that they must fix immediately, and I expect to see more teams aim for this weakness. The Panthers give up a majority of their rushing yardage on big runs when they have an opposing team near their own red zone. The opposing offense will go heavy on one side (typically to the left). The play is a weak side counter/scissor play. They get the Panthers defense to slide the DL to the strong side and then slant to the strong side gaps. This places the weak side DT over the center and responsible for the strong side A gap. The weak side LB is now responsible for the weak side A gap and the safety is now set up for the weak side B gap. The DE contains the C gap. If both OGs are allowed a free release to the second level and get 6 yards deep on the weak side LB, then the RB has 3 angles of attack with only 2 defenders within 5 yards of the RB. Ron Rivera must address and correct this issue to stop the big runs with the opposing offense up against their own goal line.

CJ Spiller did this to the Panthers defense at the start of the 2013 season. LeGarrette Blount did this to the Panthers with the Patriots in 2013 and the Steelers in 2014. The Buccaneers fullback did this to the Panthers to start the 2014 season. Giovanni Bernard hammered this issue home last Sunday. The time has come to stop this from being a point of attack for other offenses with a long field staring them in the face.

Goodbye AFC teams! With 9 NFC teams remaining (5 divisional), I would lean toward fans seeing a much stronger run defense for the remainder of the season. A run defense that will remind us that the Panthers still have one of the stronger run defenses in the NFL.

A new hope for all Panthers fans!

Doesn't matter we where also # 2 in points allowed in 2013..............2014 where in opposite end.

Well, I disagree with one thing. Greg Hardy would most certainly help the run defense. He wasn't a one trick pony that just pushed OTs into the backfield toward the QB. He was very good at diagnosing run plays and plugging his gaps, and slicing down the line to make tackles even when they're not to his side. On some of those big runs, instead of a big gap with a G on the LBs, it woulda been Hardy taking the space stopping the run. I'm not saying with Hardy in our Run D would be as good as last year, there's got to be multiple factors in a problem so big, but losing him is the single largest contributor to the decline in my opinion.

He is crazy good at run d in madden too. Just make sure you go to the depth chart and start him. He can take over the game if you are good at 15's jumping the snap thing. Oddly enough, 15 is pretty realistic

But the fact remains we did give up those long runs..no take backs...no reset button.

It is also clear you think Hardy did not have the Oline game planning for him. I think guys forget.. There is a reason why Hardy was franchise tagged. There are not too many DEs in the league like him.

The Mario Addison's and Wes Horton's are not his equal.

But the fact remains we did give up those long runs..no take backs...no reset button.

It is also clear you think Hardy did not have the Oline game planning for him. I think guys forget.. There is a reason why Hardy was franchise tagged. There are not too many DEs in the league like him.

The Mario Addison's and Wes Horton's are not his equal.

Harper and DeCoud are also to blame for the long runs. They're consantly out of position or taking extremely long angles to the runner, causing these huge holes to open in the third level.

Archived