• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Kalil's cap figure next year is 11+m

Ruff

he has been as disappointing as all the other linemen including Bell and Chandler. only slightly better than Amini

I don't think that is correct.  Kalil has done his best.  What do you expect when he is watching the weak links on the line.  Both sides of the line he has to keep a watch on.  Give him a break.

Everyone likes to get mad at players like Bell but in reality a high dollar player that isn't producing hurts your team way more then a cheap player who isn't.

Man that was a good post, and the portion I've quoted is especially pertinent to evaluating Kalil's value. I'm sure Gettleman hoped Kalil would take leadership of the line with Gross gone and earn his money as a dominant player. I don't know how to evaluate centers, but I doubt that has happened. Big guaranteed money should go only to players that can have a dominant affect on the game. Otherwise, I'd much rather have that money spread out among highly competent players with average NFL athleticism who can be trusted to play their assignments accurately and let the truly dominant players make plays.

If you have below average athleticism or below average competence on the field (of which we have both), you're in trouble.

I don't think that is correct.  Kalil has done his best.  What do you expect when he is watching the weak links on the line.  Both sides of the line he has to keep a watch on.  Give him a break.

Bell and Chandler have been giving their best, so give them a break. They are trying their best while Kalil has stood there watching.

There is a misconception on this forum that we are somehow cheap when it comes to players.  We spend as much as most teams do.  The problem is where we spend it.

Instead of having a LT making 10m we have a center with a 11m cap hit next year.

Instead of having a receiver making 8m we have 2 running backs counting for almost 15m next year.

Instead of having a cornerback making 9m we have a olb with a cap hit of 10m next year.

Instead of a safety making 7m we have a DE with a cap hit of 20m next year.

Because of the salary cap there are just so many "big" contracts you can have on a team.  I think we have 7 players with cap hits over 4 million.  This is pretty consistent with the other teams in the league. 

In theory every team should be getting good production out of their big salary guys.  All of those players are on 2nd or 3rd contracts.  You should know what you are getting with them.  Conversely you shouldn't expect much out of cheap free agents.  There is a reason they are cheap.

Everyone likes to get mad at players like Bell but in reality a high dollar player that isn't producing hurts your team way more then a cheap player who isn't.

Players on rookie contracts are the one spot teams have the abilty to get to get high production for cheap prices.  A quality draft class would go a long ways in helping us transition away from some of the bad contracts on this team.

This is exactly what I've been saying, the team is built horribly. Due to how many of these contracts are structured there's no easy solution either. You keep the guys, overpay them and continue to have an unbalanced poorly built roster. Or you cut them, suck up huge dead money cap hits and add more needs to a team that already has plenty.

This is what happens when you hand out over $100 million in signing bonuses and $200 million in total contracts so that you can lock in a 2-14 roster for 5+ years.

It's not only the cap hit but also how terribly these contracts were structured. Both CJ and Kalil, their prorated bonuses (essentially dead money) are larger parts of their cap hit than their actual base salary. This puts the team in a horrible position trying to get them to take paycuts if they don't live up to their contracts.

CJ - Base salary: $9,750,000 - Bonus money: $10,020,000

Kalil - Base salary: $5,366,000 - Bonus money: $6,179,000

If, for example, Kalil had a 12M cap hit with 11M base salary and only 1M bonus money it would put the team in 1000X better position to negotiate a paycut, because they would have leverage. If Kalil got cut he wouldn't make 11M on the open market, so of course he'd be better off taking a paycut in line with what his market value would be. Howver, with the huge amount of guaranteed already paid dead money, and his base salary being only $5.3M of the near $12M cap hit, there's not much the team can do.

Compared to Gano's contract (the only real multi-year deal DG has given out)

Base salary: $2,300,000 - Bonus money: $750,000

Not only does it make it hard to force paycuts it also makes it harder to cut the players.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have around 20m in dead money next year.  If that is the case I think that will be 3 years in a row we have been that high.

I often hear people say that "there is always a way to free up space" but that is only true to a degree. Most of our contracts have been leveraged to the max.  Think of it as a house with no equity in it. 

Look at the voidable years that have been added to several of our player's contracts.  No GM wants to do that.  DG has had to just to tread water.  That alone should show people how bad of a situation that DG walked into.

Not worried.

CJ and Kalil will be taking pay cuts.

they had in a way, at least short term and back loaded those contracts to the next two years and it is debilitating. unless they acknowledge that they aren't even close to being worth what they are getting and just straight up take less money to play, DG didnt do himself any favors restructuring them these last two offseasons. the four worst contracts left now are Kalil, CJ, DW and #28. after that, the smoke begins to clear.

This is exactly what I've been saying, the team is built horribly. Due to how many of these contracts are structured there's no easy solution either. You keep the guys, overpay them and continue to have an unbalanced poorly built roster. Or you cut them, suck up huge dead money cap hits and add more needs to a team that already has plenty.

This is what happens when you hand out over $100 million in signing bonuses and $200 million in total contracts so that you can lock in a 2-14 roster for 5+ years.

Worst part about it is that idiot Hurney was on his radio show today talking about how poor the o-line is and how we lack depth. I almost punched my fuging radio. The architect of 95% of this poo-mess is on the radio critiquing the fuging mess. It's like the Panthers are cursed with idiocy and shitty fans.

Archived