• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"[Cam] might be two years away from being finished."

UNCrules2187

I think what's actually 'finished' right now is this notion that athletic quarterbacks are going to change the NFL.

Quarterbacks still rise or fall based on their ability to pass. Being a run threat is great if you're also a quality passer, but it's a poor substitute for good passing skills. You might get some really cool highlight reel plays, but you don't get long term success.

RG3 is probably the best example of this.

and The Golden Calf of Bristol

Agree with a few of the points, but in general it's a misinformed and short-sighted argument.

Cam does need to continue to learn touch. No question there. Not saying that every one of his passes are bullets, but he needs to learn when he can and should take a little off.

Cam's accuracy is not really the problem. I've seen him place the ball in some really tight windows. As a matter of fact he does it at least once every game, when you get the wow throw that you know only a few QBs could make. His problem is consistency and anticipating routes.

Cam is not a running QB. He is a passing QB that can run. Every since day one, he forced himself to stay in the pocket and deliver the ball even if the run was there. I mean he did PASS for over 400 yards that game! And another 400+ his second game. The only QB in the history of the NFL with similar passing numbers through their first 3 years is Andrew Luck. Period. Yet Cam is a running QB? I'm confused.

Cam was raw when he came into the league. Every one knew that. But he has progressed every season since entering the NFL. This season is more an indictment on his oline play. Not Cam Newton's regression. Because it has to be a regression, right? How could he have had the most passing yards by a QB in their first three seasons - in history, but not be a competent passer? That statement is full of contradictions. So, it can't be that he was a bad passer, but he's lost some of his effectiveness. Maybe can attribute that to a completely new receiving corp. missing OTAs - so didn't have a chance to develop chemistry, ankle surgery, and the loss of his franchise LT.

I agree, Cam has hit his ceiling in my opinion, he is no longer a rushing threat so now he is being exposed as a very mediocre passer. I have no confidence whatsoever he's a franchise QB

If you continue to let "Cam be Cam", call designed run plays for Cam and run an offense based on misdirection, then yes Cam Newton has hit his ceiling.

BUT if you teach Cam to play quarterback like an NFL QB from the pocket and utilize his talent there and hone his skills as a passer who can still put on a highlight reel run or two, well then you've got a completely different story. The ball is in the Owner/GM/Staff's court.

Truthfully if I'm the GM I am thinking about replacing the coaching staff. If I'm thinking about replacing the coaching staff then I'm also considering if that coaching staff likes my current quarterback... Or even if I like my current QB.

You also have to figure out if Cam wants to be a panther. If you get the slightest feeling that he's going to hold you hostage for $100 million contract and you don't think he's going to be worth it then my opinion you trade him for a king's ransom and draft another QB or find a guy in FA.

Mariota in my opinion is as close to a sure thing for a success in the NFL. I think that he has all the skills and he has the ability to run a complex offense. He also has great character and the will to work but be a humble leader. However if you do not feel as though you can get a quarterback this year then put a stop gap in and replace all the positions that were currently trying to fill with garbage players.

The one thing that you do not do is what teams like the Bears have done, which is give a giant contract to a quarterback that you don't think can win for you.

Archived