• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is Russell Wilson a better quarterback than Cam Newton? - Seattle Times

Car123

No RENTON — Russell Wilson delivered the perfect joke for his audience. When reporters asked him Wednesday to compare himself to Carolina quarterback Cam Newton, Wilson went to the obvious, but effective, quip about their difference in size.

“You know, he’s — I don’t know, what? — 7 inches taller than me,” Wilson said, laughing. “You know, he’s probably, I don’t know, 260 (pounds).”

The giant vs. the pocket quarterback. It’s the easy button. Newton — listed at 6 feet 5, 245 pounds but probably closer to 6-6, 260 — looks like a power forward. Wilson, at 5-11 and 215 pounds, was once considered too small to get on the NFL quarterback ride at the amusement park. That’s one of two popular ways to contrast them.

Here’s the other: Wilson is the mature, dependable and tireless worker who has had more success because he maximizes his talent. Newton is the crazy, erratic and spoiled one who will never live up to his potential.

The overachiever vs. the loafer. It’s the easy button, too.

Mods will jump on this because you posted the article without a link.

As for the article, same tired narrative about Cam from an uninformed journalist regurgitating what they see and hear on sports center. Shocking.

Didn't want to give it clicks.

Mods will jump on this because you posted the article without a link.

As for the article, same tired narrative about Cam from an uninformed journalist regurgitating what they see and hear on sports center. Shocking.

Someone wrote it. It's probably what they do for a living they deserve the credit by getting the link.

As for the article, they bring up a good point but it's an obvious answer. Wilson being shorter and smaller (seriously I'm bigger than him) forced him to hone his craft quicker otherwise he wouldn't have been taken serious. It's the same reason I prefer to climb with female rock climbers and females to spar with (not just because it makes me feel l like a big man). They're smaller and have to rely on skill and technique more than raw strength.

I'm really tired of this picture that the media paints of Cam.

For starters, Russell Wilson is labeled as mature and Cam is labeled as a diva. The last time I checked, the Seahawks are the one's that had a divided locker room this year (which Wilson was at the center of), not the Panthers. But hey, let's paint a picture of Cam that displays him as a player that wastes his time and has had everything handed to him.

Wait a minute though, didn't Cam get arrested in college, turn his life around, win two national titles (JUCO/NCAA), get accused of committing an NCAA violation, get drafted first overall, set tons of records, have a sub par 2nd season, lead his team the playoffs the next year, injure his ankle, break his ribs, get in a serious car wreck....

And is now playing at an elite level with the city of Charlotte in his corner (all while being somewhat injured).

The man has faced more adversity in 25 years than some will in their entire life (most likely this journalist) and on top that the media has decided to single handily put his life under a microscope and criticize him for every little thing (even the way he dresses). After re-reading what I just wrote, that doesn't sound like a spoiled kid to me. That sounds like a fighter.

Secondly, Cam is labeled as erratic, crazy, and a time waster. Well that's news to me. I didn't realize that spending time conducting 7v7's for local HS kids, buying kids Christmas gifts, buying families Turkey's on Thanksgiving, or working at soup kitchens were tendencies of a crazy, time wasting individual. Oh and let's not forget, he also finds time to be a franchise quarterback.

It's time for the media to realize that Cam's persona isn't a slight at them, their organization, or whatever team they cover.

His first down celebration, his superman pose, his contagious smile, his funny interview cliches, his impersonation of MJ (towel over the head).... it's not for the media.

It's for the fans of the Carolina Panthers and the city of Charlotte and I'll be damned if some asshole is going to influence my opinion on Mr. Newton due to a piss poor article like the one I just read.

As for Wilson being better than Cam (as the article suggests), we'll see come Saturday evening.

Archived