• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

'Xs and Os' vs 'Jimmys and Joes'

Mr. Scot

Manning can't throw anymore.....he beats teams presnap, with his head and accuracy. He is one of the GOAT.

But he is a shell of what he was physically. He happens to be the smartest guy on the field....which is why his team wins. He can't throw though....give him a window and he can't get it done. Can't put anything on a ball. All his have to be anticipation and to a spot for a WR to go get

Not sure how you equate Manning being at the end of his career with Rodgers who is the best in the game currently

Manning's arm is weak. Probably the weakest of all starters this year. Was weak last year too. Why he probably retires now.

Some of the dumbest poo I have heard in a long time right here. I could dismantle you more but it would be a waste of my time. You are talking out of your ass after watching one playoff game with a QB who had a quad injury and trying to spin it.

This isn't basketball. Coaching / Game Planning / Scheme are huge in football. 

Yes talent can mask coaching deficiencies. However, once you get to the playoffs all teams are gonna have talent. You are gonna have to have a good game plan, have good instinctual playcalling, and be able to make adjustments. 

At the end of the day you need both in football. Both are pretty darn important. 

When it comes to defensive scheming and motivation, Rivera is legitimately one of the best coaches in the League.

But a head coach also has to have some talent evaluation skills since he's the one who sets the depth chart and fills out his staff.

That's the area where Rivera has issues.

Our third down defensive calls against Seattle certainly suggest that he may be the best at scheming pregame but by god if a mid game adjustment needs to be made the devil punches the angel off Ron's shoulder and whispers, "Trust in your game plan."

Some of the dumbest poo I have heard in a long time right here. I could dismantle you more but it would be a waste of my time. You are talking out of your ass after watching one playoff game with a QB who had a quad injury and trying to spin it.

Has nothing to do with one game.....last 2 seasons his arm strength has been glaring. He simply works around it. The few defenses that refuse to allow him to work around it.....make it glaring.

There is a reason why the GOAT reg season QB suddenly became a heavy screen game QB and spot thrower

It isn't a knock. He is old now. It happens. This board consistantly like to act like skills don't diminish with age

Our third down defensive calls against Seattle certainly suggest that he may be the best at scheming pregame but by god if a mid game adjustment needs to be made the devil punches the angel off Ron's shoulder and whispers, "Trust in your game plan."

If that was the case, we would have went to Olsen often.

NFL.....give me jimmy and joes over coaching.

Talent driven league. A bad coach can win the Super Bowl with great talent

A bad coach can win a Super Bowl? Yeah okay. Let me know when this happens.

I know of bad QBs winning a Super Bowl, I know of bad OLs winning a Super Bowl, and I know of the occasional bad defense that wins a Super Bowl. You can say the same for every position.

The one thing you can't point to is a mediocre or inept coach who wins a Super Bowl.

Rivera will always be out coached in the playoffs and the most talented teams find their way to the playoffs. Fox had one of the most talented teams with the Broncos, and he got out coached in the playoffs

There is a science to coaching that is magnified at the playoff level. Only a handful of coaches understand the science of coaching. Most coach from the gut and hip, and then follow the book of conservative coaching when they cannot quickly figure out the issues in the game.

I know of bad QBs winning a Super Bowl, I know of bad OLs winning a Super Bowl, and I know of the occasional bad defense that wins a Super Bowl. You can say the same for every position.

The one thing you can't point to is a mediocre or inept coach who wins a Super Bowl.

19_20-_20Barry_20Switzer_display_image.j

Rivera will always be out coached in the playoffs and the most talented teams find their way to the playoffs. Fox had one of the most talented teams with the Broncos, and he got out coached in the playoffs

There is a science to coaching that is magnified at the playoff level. Only a handful of coaches understand the science of coaching. Most coach from the gut and hip, and then follow the book of conservative coaching when they cannot quickly figure out the issues in the game.

Look at the number of "just a guy coaches" that make the postseason and Super Bowl.....

And look at how average "great coaches" were at points in their career when their rosters had no talent.

Caldwell, Fox, Whisenhunt, Martz, Fassel....none of those guys are anything special. All are Super Bowl coaches....

You give a meh coach a great team.....and he can win.

You give a great coach meh talent and he can lose....

Both have been proven

Look at the number of "just a guy coaches" that make the postseason and Super Bowl.....

And look at how average "great coaches" were at points in their career when their rosters had no talent.

Caldwell, Fox, Whisenhunt, Martz, Fassel....none of those guys are anything special. All are Super Bowl coaches....

You give a meh coach a great team.....and he can win.

You give a great coach meh talent and he can lose....

Both have been proven

Lets not forget to add Seifert to that group.  In San Francisco he won two Superbowls with them and is one of only 13 coaches to ever win more than 1 superbowl.  He comes here and can't break 500 in 3 seasons.  Worse thing he ever did was get rid of Beuerlein.  He was a meh coach with great talent in San Fran who came here and was just awful.  

Archived