• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Superbowl over hyped to the point of nauseum

Jmac

Dude I work with takes off the day after the SB, has done so for years.  I'm not really sure why?  I mean, do you party more for a game that your team is not even in?

Not me personally, esp. not this year.  I may not even drink.  But lots of people have SB parties, they tend to imbibe, the game is over kinda late (east coast bias).  Also consider how much more revenue bars and restaurants would make if people weren't worried about getting up for work the next day.  Considering the lack of production the next day, it would make sense (I think this has been studied).  Of course the easiest thing would be to move it to Saturday but Super Bowl Saturday just doesn't sound as good I guess. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/should-day-after-super-bowl-be-holiday-406452

This is from 2012, but I bet each year is similar.

On the day after the Super Bowl last year, 1.5 million Americans called in to work and another 4.4 million were late to their jobs.

A study by The Workforce Institute at Kronos Inc., a Massachusetts based workforce management consulting firm, shows that Americans are more likely to call in sick on the day after the Super Bowl and those that do show up are more likely to waste time.

The study also showed that nearly 10 percent of the American workforce will actually think ahead and just take the day off as a vacation day.

Not me personally, esp. not this year.  I may not even drink.  But lots of people have SB parties, they tend to imbibe, the game is over kinda late (east coast bias).  Also consider how much more revenue bars and restaurants would make if people weren't worried about getting up for work the next day.  Considering the lack of production the next day, it would make sense (I think this has been studied).  Of course the easiest thing would be to move it to Saturday but Super Bowl Saturday just doesn't sound as good I guess. 

yeah, I get that, I'm in the same boat as you.  I just think it's a bit over the top to call in sick or use a vacation day b/c of the Super Bowl, especially if my team isn't in it.

Dude I work with takes off the day after the SB, has done so for years.  I'm not really sure why?  I mean, do you party more for a game that your team is not even in?

I would party much less if my team was in it so I didn't miss a thing. I like the actual Superbowl game and this is why I don't have an interest in going to SB parties anymore. I found myself socializing and paying more attention to Beyonce shaking her ass at halftime than watching the game itself. 

Half my office takes off on SB Monday - it's kind of like NYE...people are going to party just for the occasion itself. 

I would party much less if my team was in it so I didn't miss a thing. I like the actual Superbowl game and this is why I don't have an interest in going to SB parties anymore. I found myself socializing and paying more attention to Beyonce shaking her ass at halftime than watching the game itself.

Half my office takes off on SB Monday - it's kind of like NYE...people are going to party just for the occasion itself.

Beyoncé's booty > most SBs without Panthers.

It is actually to the point where I could care less about the damn thing anymore. They really need to scale the whole thing back and keep it in perspective. I know the NFL is all about the dollar, but there comes a point of over saturation. Even die hard fans of the two teams must be sick and tired of all the hoopla.

When the Panthers get in, I will not be watching any of this bullshat that they fill these two weeks with. Just do one week to get your revenue and play the damn game.

If it were the Panthers, you'd love it man

If it were the Panthers, you'd love it man

Yep, I remember our Superbowl run. I'm lovin' it just thinking about it. 

I do get tired of football this time of year, and I get burnt out on college basketball in April. However come August i'll be watching the HOF game trying desperately to relieve the football withdrawal symptom's, like a Heroin addict shooting water into my veins trying to do anything to get that high again. 

In that case the first two days of March Madness should be holidays as well.  Pretty sure more is lost to low productivity those two days than any others.

Archived