• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was The Carroll/Organization Beef With Lynch Behind That Historically Bad Playcall?

Proudiddy

pete said that the patriots had their goal line run stop defense personnel in so they were going to call a pass but basically wanted to play for 3rd and 4/goal

not much more to it

I heard his interview SZ, but it made absolutely no sense to me.

The windows are so much smaller and there is so little space when you're that close to that goalline. The risks of throwing it there are significantly greater than the reward that could be had by just running Lynch three times in a row, IF THAT.

I do wonder now if it was Carroll or Wilson responsible for it now though... But the point remains, because supposedly a lot of their locker room problems were between Wilson and Lynch...

But in Wilson's presser, he just said something along the lines of "we came out in a formation with the chance to pass," with it pretty ambiguous as to whether he was saying it was a called pass play, or a formation that he audibles into a pass play with.

I know ultimately whoever called the play did it to win, but I still wonder if those underlying issues affected the decision.

I would be more inclined to follow the theory that Carrol wanted to outfox Bellichek and take a ring away from his former employee. If Lynch did the deed, Lynch gets the credit. If that passing play comes wide open, Carrol is the gutsy decision maker.

I don't know that any of those motivations creeped into this mind. But I do think he tried to outsmart the Patriots and ended up looking dumb.

Archived