• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2 Late Round Offensive Tackles

Jeremy Igo

With at least eight and maybe as many as 10 draft picks this year, I think the Carolina Panthers select more than one offensive tackle throughout the draft. It would not shock me to see two or even three taken. The OT position on the team is the weakest and most shallow of all positions. 

As you know, I am done with the thought of drafting more small school projects. I want the biggest, meanest guys from large schools. I don't want to hear about upside and potential because of physical gifts. I want football players. 

That said, here are a few later round (rounds 5-7) offensive tackles that I think may be worth looking at. 

Rob Havenstein - OT - Wisconsin 

6'8" 332lbs

Talk about your Hog Mollie. This guy is the size of David Foucault but actually has legitimate football program experience at Wisconsin. Three year starter at right tackle. 

I like Havenstein because he is one of those guys that doesn't look all that athletic. He isn't a physical specimen and won't do all that well in the combine strength tests, just like Andrew Norwell. Because of that he will drop to round 5 or 6. But this kid is a real football player and has that mean streak I always appreciate on the line. 

I'd love to see the Panthers groom this guy for the right side. Possibly spelling Trai Turner at guard as he is groomed for a tackle spot in coming years. 

Austin Shepard - OT - Alabama

6' 5" 320

Here is another guy the Panthers could use right away as a backup guard and groom for the future. He took over at right tackle for Bama in 2013 and performed well ever since. Stronger in the run game than edge rushers, which is why I think he starts out at guard and can be groomed for the right side. Comes from a small town in Georgia, will enjoy staying in the south. 

Plus, he definitely looks and sounds the part...

Both of these guys are projected as right side players. It will be difficult to find a left tackle in the later rounds, but the right side is a definite possibility. I would be happy if the Panthers spent a 5th - 7th round draft pick on either (or both) of these guys. 

Wisconsin and Ohio State olineman are a pretty safe bet IMO. I'm with you though, screw the small school guys. Sure you might find a Larry Allen once every 50 years out of a small school, but give me a beast that has played against beasts.

Wisconsin and Ohio State olineman are a pretty safe bet IMO. I'm with you though, screw the small school guys. Sure you might find a Larry Allen once every 50 years out of a small school, but give me a beast that has played against beasts.

could not agree more, offensive lineman's high school rankings translate the best to their nfl potential 

I know a lot of people didn't pay that much mind to the story about us switching scouting services, but I honestly think it's part of why we got some of the guys we did.

The difference with BLESTO is they emphasize game performance over measurables. That's how you get a guy like Norwell.

Archived