• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DGB Considered "Best WR to Come Out since Calvin Johnson."

nctarheel0619

I hope he causes a top WR to drop to us (Kevin White, Devante Parker)

It would be nice but it's wishful thinking. I've seen White rated higher on some boards than Cooper. The biggest problem is that there are just so many WR-needy teams with young QBs. Raiders need a WR. As do the Vikings, Browns (in the worst way), potentially the 49ers, potentially the Texans, Chiefs (in the worst way), then the Browns pick again.

Id love to land White or Parker but by the time the 25th pick rolls around I think we are looking at Strong, Perriman, Coates, and Devin Smith as our primary options at WR. Of those I'd prefer Perriman but if we are set on a pass-catcher I'd rather take the best TE in the draft in Maxx Williams who could be like Jason Witten or Gronk for years and years. If we went that route, I'd hope we would have addressed WR in free agency and/or drafted a deep threat in rounds 3-4.

It would be nice but it's wishful thinking. I've seen White rated higher on some boards than Cooper. The biggest problem is that there are just so many WR-needy teams with young QBs. Raiders need a WR. As do the Vikings, Browns (in the worst way), potentially the 49ers, potentially the Texans, Chiefs (in the worst way), then the Browns pick again.

Id love to land White or Parker but by the time the 25th pick rolls around I think we are looking at Strong, Perriman, Coates, and Devin Smith as our primary options at WR. Of those I'd prefer Perriman but if we are set on a pass-catcher I'd rather take the best TE in the draft in Maxx Williams who could be like Jason Witten or Gronk for years and years. If we went that route, I'd hope we would have addressed WR in free agency and/or drafted a deep threat in rounds 3-4.

Funchess will more than likely be there too.

When are you gonna let me take you out for a drink in the city mayne?

The thing is (as I attempted to explain to you in another thread, and this one actually) is that it is somewhat incongruous to suggest that a guy that you know has first round talent is not worth drafting in the first because of character concerns, but is worth drafting in the third---or any round. If you think that he has bad character and a lazy work ethic, then I can easily argue that he is not worth drafting at all.

Well, that's not true at all.  I guess when you play poker you always make the same bet no matter what you have in your hand?  Because the draft is always a gamble... no pick is ever a sure thing.  Its always a balance of risk vs. reward.

A guy like DGB is heavy on the risk side, so you the more rational move would be to try to wait as long as possible to pick him to lower the risk your team is taking on him.  Your method would be to take him in the 1st round and make the riskiest bet possible... kind of like going all-in on a pair of Jacks.  Go for it!  On a hunch!  It *MAY* work out!

Blowing your 1st round draft choice?  Bad.

Blowing your 3rd round draft choice?  Nowhere near as bad.

Its actually pretty simple.

Well, that's not true at all. I guess when you play poker you always make the same bet no matter what you have in your hand? Because the draft is always a gamble... no pick is ever a sure thing. Its always a balance of risk vs. reward.

A guy like DGB is heavy on the risk side, so you the more rational move would be to try to wait as long as possible to pick him to lower the risk your team is taking on him. Your method would be to take him in the 1st round and make the riskiest bet possible... kind of like going all-in on a pair of Jacks. Go for it! On a hunch! It *MAY* work out!

Blowing your 1st round draft choice? Bad.

Blowing your 3rd round draft choice? Nowhere near as bad.

Its actually pretty simple.

Not really. You can't paint every athlete with a troubled past with the same broad stroke. Sometimes the risk is worth the reward. Sometimes, not all the time.

Evaluate your hand. Weigh your risks. Either you want to play, or you don't. If you don't, then fold. This is not a case of making it to the third hand. But don't be surprised when someone else gets the winnings.

That being said, I will be fine with whatever we do regarding DGB. I would be ecstatic with Megatron, but will accept DeSean or Alshon with a smile (if you get what I'm saying).

OK, I know I'm late on this. However...I am usually late anyway. Which is why I am never going to be a mod. But...

The same reason we are not taking a rehabilitating Tackle early, is the same reason we won't take DGB. We need players that can contribute immediately. We are not yet in the position to wait on a player to come around for a year or so.

Side issues aside, it is just that simple. If we thought he could play, he may be in play for us. If we think he needs time, or has to learn, he is not of use to us.

After the 4th round, anyone is game. But, in the first three rounds, we need players. DGB is not a starter. So he is not on our board until the later rounds. Maybe in a year or two we can take a player like him. Just not at this time. We are just not in the position to wait on a player yet.

Sorry if I am the bearer of bad news. Or realistic news. Cuz the kid is awesome. Just too raw for our needs.

Not really. You can't paint every athlete with a troubled past with the same broad stroke. Sometimes the risk is worth the reward. Sometimes, not all the time.

Evaluate your hand. Weigh your risks. Either you want to play, or you don't. If you don't, then fold. This is not a case of making it to the third hand. But don't be surprised when someone else gets the winnings.

That being said, I will be fine with whatever we do regarding DGB. I would be ecstatic with Megatron, but will accept DeSean or Alshon with a smile (if you get what I'm saying).

I just happened to watch DGB today. He actually sounded like a semi-intelligent guy. It made me think that maybe he has a chance.

Then I thought to myself. The kid is basically a Soph. He had 1 good year. Are we in a position we can take the chance that the kid cannot hit the field? Can we wait half the year or more? He sounded contrite, and even level headed. But...unfortunately, we are not yet at the point where we can wait on an early pick to grow.

We need our early picks to shine. DGB may take some time to get there. Sure he may well get there. But, we need immediate help before we start stockpiling talent.

I just happened to watch DGB today. He actually sounded like a semi-intelligent guy. It made me think that maybe he has a chance.

Then I thought to myself. The kid is basically a Soph. He had 1 good year. Are we in a position we can take the chance that the kid cannot hit the field? Can we wait half the year or more? He sounded contrite, and even level headed. But...unfortunately, we are not yet at the point where we can wait on an early pick to grow.

We need our early picks to shine. DGB may take some time to get there. Sure he may well get there. But, we need immediate help before we start stockpiling talent.

Perhaps you are absolutely correct about DGB being too raw to get on the field early for any appreciable amount time, but it's pretty much standard business for more than a few first rounders to start right away. I just don't get the we-can't-wait for a player to develop sentiment, especially considering the supposed talent level and/or upside of the next best receiver since Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss. In the old days, it may have even been the expectation to allow for a gradual transition, and I don't see anything wrong with that course of action now, depending on the situation. When G-man spoke about a player getting on the field, he didn't say you had to get a player on the field right away, he said that you had to know how quickly you can get the player on the field, the implication being (at least in my mind) that as long as the player isn't going to take an inordinate amount of time that is outside the norm---and actually has a chance of seeing the field---then that player is fair game to draft. Inherent in that is meeting whatever expectations you have for that player and the team.

G-man has basically come out and said it in his presser at the Combine (you need to listen to it), and I absolutely believe that he will "stockpile" talent as you put it, because really that's what he has shown to some degree with his last couple of drafts, and more importantly (in his perfect world), he uses free agency to set up the draft in such a way that he can take the most talented players because drafting based solely on need does not lead to sustained success. In fact, passing up on talent that you have graded highly on your draft board for a less talented guy just because the less talented guy can play right away doesn't jibe with with Gettleman's overall philosophy.

My thoughts on this are not exclusive to DGB, but anyone. It all depends on going in with your eyes wide open about what you feel the talent level and potential of the prospect is, and whether the amount of time that it will take to develop and fulfill that potential is worth drafting at whatever time you are on the clock.

I didn't mention character concerns (because it didn't appear central to your point), but if they are present you take that into account and factor that in either before or after everything else, depending upon your philosophy. And, just like many have said, character concerns may completely trump anything else, leaving an option off your draft board altogether depending on your philosophy.

Edit: G-man said several times that he will pick the BPA, regardless if there is a perceived strength at the position---regardless if you think that he is "brain damaged", because it creates competition, and that's what you want.

guy seems like a headcase, see: Blackmon, Gordon

After what Hardy did, I SERIOUSLY doubt we go near any player that has a known history of hitting women, much less pushing them down stairs.

Get over yourselves. Keep sucking with choir boys. 

This is the one area where I trust a former player who looks like Rivera to be able to make an impact on a guy with an ill-behaved past. Hardy was accused by a gold-digging addict. To keep bringing that up is ignorant. He was never a guy constantly failing drug tests or being suspended. 

That honor goes more to Frank Alexander who I don't hear you trying to run out of town. 

DGB is a talent that can and will start right away, no matter what team he is on.  Raw?  Maybe.  Talented?  Hell yes.  Athletic?  No doubt.  All in all I think the man will be a phenomenal player in the league.  IF hes there at 25 and we pass on him, we'll be looking around at each other in two to three years just shaking our heads at the possibility of KB + DGB being wasted because of his "possible problems."

My opinion is this, maybe I'm mistaken but this draft just seems weak overall, I've heard about 5-6 OTs that should be taken but none seem elite, esp at 25. This seems like the perfect draft to take a risk on a guy like DGB at 25. Is it just me or do none of the prospects this year scream sure fire starter/pro bowler?

With how well Gman has been drafting in later rounds, I say take the risk and draft DGB and let Gman work his magic in other rounds

Archived