• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Carolina Pass up on Offensive Tackle at 25?

Bj-Monster23

Yeah no doubt, they did struggle but I was just addressing Stirs saying guys below 34 can't play LT. As I also said, Joe Thomas, Gross, and Duane Brown all have sub-34 arms. It's not a game breaker but it is something to consider.

I think Humphries and Collins would fit best for us out of the tackle class. I'm open to offense and defense though in R1.

I think a lot of major mistakes teams make when it comes to drafting offensive linemen is that they pick measurables, physical traits over technique and skill. Amini would be a prime example where as Norwell was probably overlooked because he didn't have eye piping measurables.

When we first signed Norwell i researched him and found he was a 2 time first team all big ten conference offensive linemen. He started 39 consecutive games and could play tackle and guard. I couldn't understand how a guy from Ohio state, one of the top football programs in the nation could be overlooked with that kind of resume. So when Norwell started at left guard it shouldn't of been a suprise that he played well, after all he has been playing LG against top talent for years.

I could see multiple scenarios where we pass on OT in the 1st.  Very possible in Gettleman's eyes there ends up being only 2 or 3 OTs worth a 1st in this draft and they're gone.  If someone like Kevin White, that Parker WR (haven't done my own research on him, but I hear he's getting buzz), Landon Collins, Shaq Thompson (another guy getting buzz, I don't quite get it yet but I need to see more) or another guy at a position of need that's rated higher than the OTs is available Gettleman won't take the lower rated guy just because we so desperately need a LT.  As crazy as it may sound, this is a draft I could actually see us trading back up into the late 1st or early 2nd if there's a guy available we love.  If, for example, we take one of the non-OTs I just mentioned at 25 but there's an OT available at 31 or 35 or something that Gettleman didn't like better than our guy at 25 but still thinks very highly of I could see us sending next year's 1st to go get him.  I know it sound like crazy talk, but this is the first year in a while I could see it actually happening.

I'd love a trade down for even more picks, but I never want to get back into the habit of being pick deficient.

This draft simply does not excite me with its OT's. Other positions will be better picks at 25.I am pretty confident that it won't be a tackle in the first. I am guessing WR, SECONDARY or DE. Yes we need one, but it has to always be BPA and I don't believe any of those tackles will be that at 25. We will see and I firmly trust our GM to make the right selection.

I agree with your statement here. I don't want a QB or a RB. Any other non ST position I would probably be OK with picking up (reserve the right to complain if we get an ILB or DT at 25). It might be presumptuous but I am almost looking past the first and am more intrigued with what we pick up in 2-7. It's early, but GMan has 1 1/2 pretty good years under his belt ( Can't get past Kugs and Barner).

I months ago more than likely dave will pick a DLmen in the first. the depth and daves raging boner for them, make it easy to see.

Just like most, i want a LT..... but more than that I want BPA. Daves won me over, when he picks a DLman I'll support it.

Ereck Flowers is the BEST OT in this year draft.

We cannot afford to pass on one if available.

No he's not. Go watch the Flowers v Gregory match up and get back to me. As for taking OT "if ones available".....no, we'll take the highest player on our board. As we should. You don't reach for need. That's how you end up with Ty Sambrailo instead of an impact player. 

Norwell only did 22 reps and he plays very strong.  I'll take functional playing strength over weigh room heroes all day everyday.  The only time I worry about bench press numbers is if you're questioning a guy's playing strength based on film and then he has weak rep numbers.  That combination is a red flag.  If he plays strong on film, that's all I need to know.

I kind of worry about Collins being able to sustain NFL LT weight. Really starting to think he is more suited for guard. At one point he was said to be around 320 but at the combine was just several pounds over 300 I believe. Doubtful he could hold up on the right side at that weight and it would be tough sledding on the left. However, technique often trumps many of the physical traits on the line. I love his nastiness and mean streak I just don't know how well he would fit on our team with Norwell and Turner here already. I have full confidence in Gettleman so whatever they decide to do I will be on board with it.

Reps at 225 don't really tell you much about line play. Go watch Flowers and then Watch Collins. Collins moves people much easier in the running game than Flowers does. He's got a stronger punch, and if he gets into a Defenders pads can dictate his mans positioning. You see less of that from Flowers. Flowers may move a bit better on an island, but it's a marginal difference at best.

Archived