• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Agree or Disagree...

Mr. Scot

...with these three statements.

- We have a better roster than we had two years ago

- Over the past two years, we have seen improvement from our coaching staff

- Our front office has us headed in the right direction

For each answer, explain why.

YES, some positions still remain the same but some have changed drastically positively and negatively but in long run we are getting out of cap hell so we can address with playmakers.

O-line changed from Gross/Wharton/Kalil/Piggy/Bell > Bell/Norwell/Kalil/Trai/Remmers.

WRs changed from Smitty/Lafell/Gettis/Murphy/Pilares/Armanti > Benji/Philly/Cotch/Bersin.

DTs have improved the most though Fua/Dwan < Star/KK.

Safties also went from Godfrey/DJ Campbell < Harper/Boston.

Obviously YES, our coaches were losing close games we had no business losing and learning how to win. The past 2 years we have been in the playoffs <<< that should tell you enough. Not to mention we have upgraded special teams coach this year by default.

Overwhelming YES, cap situation getting better, young talent growing and keeping core together. Once we are able to supplement the dollar store talent/stop-gap players with playmakers/above average players- we will be putting teams away before the 4th Qtr or even halftime.

1. Disagree, the cap has only gotten worse until now. Simply don't, and can't have a better roster. Smitty, Gross, Wharton and Hardy are big reasons. And yes, I included Hardy. These were necessary moves and retirments though, not much could be done.

2. Improvments are on and off and quite frankly, it's hard to tell. Somtimes you think yes, then all of a sudden no. Is coaching getting better? Not getting better enough to tell  for sure and certainley zero consistency.

3. Too early to tell. I don't believe JR is the owner to win a SB with the Panthers, he holds them back in many ways, plenty of evidence for that, but hey he is a great person. As far as Gettle, way too early for anyone to be able to tell, and those that think they know already, good or bad, have an opinion that should be ignored.

It's close, but I'd say yes.  On the plus side, our secondary looks promising for the first time in a long time, our DT spot is rock solid and we have a promising young WR.  On the negative side, our OL is MUCH worse and if Hardy is gone like most believe our DE spot is much worse.

For about 13 games last season I saw improvement from Ron, but this year proved it was a fluke and/or him doing whatever it took to save his job.  The rest of the coaching staff hasn't shown an iota of improvement.  So this one's a resounding no.

Yes.  If nothing else, clawing us out of the cap hell has been a hair short of a miracle.  Good drafting has been setting us up for sustained success.  So this one's a resounding yes.

Our roster is better than a couple of years ago, if for no other reason than we are younger and more talented, not to mention have more depth. The window to sustained excellence is opening, and the roster isn't predicated upon aging vets who were just happy to be here, and/or arguably on the decline. Along with that is the value-production perspective. We have younger and cheaper guys, but haven't necessarily seen a huge dropoff in production. With another year of experience and teaching, we should only improve that much more. Moreover, if you go down the line, position by position, we should simply be more talented on paper (but, like I alluded to, it's translating to the field. All of this is the result of our FO, so we are obviously headed in the right direction. Of course we need a solution at LT, but that will be addressed and should have an even more prolific and positive effect on the entire roster and direction of the team also.

As for coaching, it is always a dynamic and fluid process that is largely predicated upon the level of talent at a coach's disposal. With the level of talent on the line and/or the little experience that we had, not just on the line, but overall (which was really the result of a bad cap situation and making sacrifices for a better future-), as well as the unforgiving injuries that took a bite out of our chemistry and continuity, the coaches did a great job last season. And last season was arguably better than 2013 considering all the circumstances. Is the coaching perfect? No. It is still evolving, but it's hard to argue with two history making seasons from such a relatively young coaching staff that has had to deal with all of the above.

The answer to 1 and 3 will be better known in a few months. Everyone has given Gettleman a pass given the cap problems we have had. I want to see if we sign Hardy, lock up a Newton or Luke and we add in free agency. With most of the work still left to do over the next 3 or 4 months. Are we better than we were at this exact time in 2013, perhaps. But the jury is still out.

As for the coaching improvement, there has been a good deal,of improvement. Special teams should be better, Rivera did an outs rounding keeping everyone focused and on the same winning one after the other must win game until we lost to Seattle on the road. Shula did the best he could witht e crap he was handed. As the line improve and Cam got healthy and Stewart performed must better in the second half, the offense went from moribund to prolific. Given the problems the coaches overcame, they all,did a good job with the exception of special teams.

Number 3. Gettleman is doing a great job. I like it because a lot of these franchises spend all this money to sign free agents that are big names and Gettleman has in 2 years, shown that he is building a foundation from the ground up. Smart with the financial situation, no knee jerk reactions, and being a business man before anything. I was skeptical but I like the direction.

Archived