• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Oher Visits Panthers

NJPanthers12

I'd be lying if I said I was comfortable with Oher penciled in as the starter at LT. But, the way things are looking that might be the case. Keep in mind King Dunlap didn't have the best track record either. Many were clamoring to have us sign him this offseason. He turned it around in SD, what's to say Oher couldn't do the same with Carolina?

Oher had a rough year last year, but I think he was struggling with an injury issue. If healthy, he's better than Bell and of we can get him fairly cheap I'd be all for it. You're not gonna get a great LT in FA unless you're willing to PAY big time. Oher is about as good as we can expect to get. Bring him in and let him compete. Hopefully an early draft pick will be added as well. Let Oher, Remmers, and the rookie(s) battle it out to figure out starting RT and LT.

Oher had a rough year last year, but I think he was struggling with an injury issue. If healthy, he's better than Bell and of we can get him fairly cheap I'd be all for it. You're not gonna get a great LT in FA unless you're willing to PAY big time. Oher is about as good as we can expect to get. Bring him in and let him compete. Hopefully an early draft pick will be added as well. Let Oher, Remmers, and the rookie(s) battle it out to figure out starting RT and LT.

This. So much this.

There are rumblings that Anthony Collins may be cut by Tampa, i know many were interested in his services last year, and if i remember correctly Gettleman had a big offer on the table for him and he chose Tampa over us.  Thoughts?

After watching how he performed in Tampa, I was happy he chose them over us.

Good take.

There are rumblings that Anthony Collins may be cut by Tampa, i know many were interested in his services last year, and if i remember correctly Gettleman had a big offer on the table for him and he chose Tampa over us.  Thoughts?

My thoughts are this--give these guys a decent contract with a small signing bonus and little guaranteed.  Playing for guaranteed money has to be different than having to earn it as you go.

Example--

Oher gets a deal for $20m over 5 years.  Sounds crazy, right?  His signing bonus was $1m spread over 5 years. He gets cut if he does not earn a starting position.  The first year is at $1m.  I think, with his question marks, he is worth a $2m investment for a year--that is basically what this is.

OK the man played for a Super Bowl winning team. A solid LT for 5 years. Then he goes to an offensive line that was about as bad as ours and now he is worse than Bell?

I'll take his 5 previous years over one partial year on a sad oline.

Put him back on the Left Side where he has played since college and he'll be just fine.

Providing he has healed from his injury.

He flipped flopped a lot between LT and RT. He had two decent years, those under Matsko but his play started to slide after that.

We really need a Baltimore fan for their input here. Its telling he got cut after just one season in Tenn too, injury or not.

LT is a position where we should pay big time for a great one.

My thoughts are this--give these guys a decent contract with a small signing bonus and little guaranteed. Playing for guaranteed money has to be different than having to earn it as you go.

Example--

Oher gets a deal for $20m over 5 years. Sounds crazy, right? His signing bonus was $1m spread over 5 years. He gets cut if he does not earn a starting position. The first year is at $1m. I think, with his question marks, he is worth a $2m investment for a year--that is basically what this is.

Thing is that no player is going to sign a long-term contract with little guaranteed money. It'd be dumb on their part. "Prove it contracts" aren't just because teams don't want to do long-term deals with the player, but because the player doesn't want it either. Long-term deals involve decent guaranteed dollars. That's just the way it works.

LT is a position where we should pay big time for a great one.

Agree, but the other side of that equation is that great ones rarely actually hit the open market. Dunlap was set to be the best one this year and he basically had one good year. The Chargers still locked him up before he hit the market.

Who is available out there that you'd be willing to dedicate big money to get? I can't name one.

Thing is that no player is going to sign a long-term contract with little guaranteed money. It'd be dumb on their part. "Prove it contracts" aren't just because teams don't want to do long-term deals with the player, but because the player doesn't want it either. Long-term deals involve decent guaranteed dollars. That's just the way it works.

Matsko might be lobbying for us to give him a decent shot.

Archived