• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Judge overturns Peterson suspension

teeray

Devil is in the details, but this could have ramifications for Greg Hardy, especially the issues of punishment under new policies enacted after the incident occured and if commissioners exempt list considered a pre-discipline discipline

@AdamSchefter: Judge Doty has overturned Adrian Peterson decision and Peterson now will be reinstated, per source.

NFLPA is 2 for 2 on these appeals to courts with the new policies. I am interested to read the ruling, but it is becoming clear you can't make up a rule and then retroactively apply it to someone.

Means Hardy likely at worst would be looking at 2 game suspension.

Another big question will be whether judge had an opinion on commissioners exempt list being disciplinary in nature

NFLPA is 2 for 2 on these appeals to courts with the new policies. I am interested to read the ruling, but it is becoming clear you can't make up a rule and then retroactively apply it to someone.

Another big question will be whether judge had an opinion on commissioners exempt list being disciplinary in nature

If I recall correctly, this particular judge has sided against Goodell before.

I think in general judges have been finding that the NFL's accounts of how things went down "less than credible".

Could be good for Hardy.  Still not likely to make any difference to the Panthers though.

If I recall correctly, this particular judge has sided against Goodell before.

I think in general judges have been finding that the NFL's accounts of how things went down "less than credible".

Could be good for Hardy. Still not likely to make any difference to the Panthers though.

Yes Judge Doty has sided against the NFL before.

Why do you think 2 at worst?

Why do you think 2 at worst?

Because when the Hardy stuff happened general suspension for domestic issue was 2 games.

They retroactively created this commissioners exempt list policy, then minimum 6 game suspension.

Both Ray Rice case and this case will say you can't make new rules after the fact and try to enforce them

That is why I say worst would likely be 2 games.

Because when the Hardy stuff happened general suspension for domestic issue was 2 games.

They retroactively created this commissioners exempt list policy, then minimum 6 game suspension.

Both Ray Rice case and this case will say you can't make new rules after the fact and try to enforce them

That is why I say worst would likely be 2 games.

But two games wasn't the rule or the general outcome as it was handled on a case by case basis. PED and Drug offenses were handled by the CBA while personal conduct issues where not. That lead to each one being handled on a case per case basis. There was no prior rule so to me any new rule can applied IMO. I'm not trying to defend the leagues handling but I don't think it's out of line much either. To me the problem is they have to set something and stick with it and not have the Guantanamo Prison thing going on.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-domestic-violence-policy-suspensions/

Archived