• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Mock Draft Rounds 1 - 3

Jeremy Igo

Nobody has said Tolbert is fast. He's not. But, he's fast compared to Nick O'Leary. For the record, he has three 100 yard rushing games in the NFL, but they were all for the Chargers.

I know for a fact that Brad Hoover had at least one 100 yard rushing game for us. He was very rarely called upon to carry the ball for us, but back in '00 when we just flat out ran out of RBs he started at RB for us and carried the ball 24 times for 117 yards in a win vs. the Packers.

Tolbert ran a 4.75 40 coming out of college. Brad Hoover reportedly ran in the 4.6s. O'Leary barely outran the fastest offensive linemen at the combine this year while weighing about 50 pounds less. That's why I have serious questions about him being an NFL caliber athlete.

O'Leary was...

17th out of 18 TEs in the 40 (4.93)

7th out of 12 TEs in the 3 cone (0.55 seconds behind 1st place, only 0.22 seconds ahead of last place)

6th out of 11 TEs in the shuttle

10th out of 10 TEs in the vertical (tied with two other for last at 30.5")

9th out of 11 TEs in the broad jump (2" ahead of last place)

4th out of 14 TEs in the bench press (Yay!)

Now, keep in mind, this is considered one of the weakest TE classes in recent memory and Nick O'Leary is clearly one of the, if not the worst athlete at the position in the class. If you want to classify him as a FB, fine. FBs are very rarely drafted anyway these days.

The numbers add up to a guy who will be a late round draft pick or possibly even go undrafted. That's just the truth. Drafting this guy in the 3rd round would be insane.

you guys keep talking about O'Leary as a TE when I'm talking about him replacing Tolbert. O'Leary has better hands out of the backfield and is a big body to lead the rushing attack and blocking in the backfield.

I don't want O'Leary as a TE, I want him as a blocking back with great hands out of the backfield.

even Olson has very low YAC and I'm not expecting that out of OLeary either...I'm just tired of Olsen being used as a blocking back when he is our second best receiver and is wasted having to do that.

Plenary can replace Tolbert as an H-back and is more of a threat out of the backfield than Tolbert is. 2/10 of a second off of Tolberts combine time which was like 7 years ago. please don't try to continue this blabber about Tolbert as he is past his prime and costs us millions to do I'm not even sure what he does anymore.

you guys keep talking about O'Leary as a TE when I'm talking about him replacing Tolbert. O'Leary has better hands out of the backfield and is a big body to lead the rushing attack and blocking in the backfield.

I don't want O'Leary as a TE, I want him as a blocking back with great hands out of the backfield.

even Olson has very low YAC and I'm not expecting that out of OLeary either...I'm just tired of Olsen being used as a blocking back when he is our second best receiver and is wasted having to do that.

Plenary can replace Tolbert as an H-back and is more of a threat out of the backfield than Tolbert is. 2/10 of a second off of Tolberts combine time which was like 7 years ago. please don't try to continue this blabber about Tolbert as he is past his prime and costs us millions to do I'm not even sure what he does anymore.

He is slow and has never been a blocking back coming out the backfield. . Not to mention the fact he is slower than most of the LBS and Safeties who will be covering him.. Also a H-back has to have some threat in running the ball and O'leary has never taken a hand off..

Where is your logic..

Last let me bring up the point that you yourself said "Gettlemen is trtrying to phase out the running game".. Why would he take a primary blocking back in the 3rd if he was doing that??

You are contradicting yourself. .

I don't care what you want to call him, he's a terrible NFL athlete. That's not going to change. His best attribute by far is his hands.

I'm not saying Tolbert is great. You seem to be hung up on that. I think there's a good chance he'll be cut. Hell, we don't really use him. Hence why I think its dumb to draft a poor athlete in the 3rd round who will likely rarely be used.

What makes h-backs dangerous in most offenses is the match up nightmares they cause. O'Leary isn't a good enough athlete to do that.

Collins only makes sense if A.)they can trade back and still grab him, which with the way he's falling kinda sounds plausible and B.) you really think Tre Boston can develop into a stud free safety, which meh...

There will be better players than Collins available when the Panthers draft. 

Archived