• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Not Set At Wide Receiver

Jeremy Igo

Everyone wanting us to get another WR I just have one question.  Where is he going to play?  Greg Olsen will be on the field on almost every play.  Kelvin will see most of the snaps on offense.  They are not going to cut Brown or Ginn now.  Usually 4 or 5 receivers are active on gameday.  Cotchery would cost us money to cut right now and as much as people like to say he sucks he doesn't suck he is just not great and doesn't have great speed to stretch a defense.  I am not saying they won't get another receiver in FA or the draft.  I think they will, but maybe not a big time #2 receiver that everyone thinks we need so bad.  It would not surprise me if the only other receiver they get is like a 4th or 5th round draft pick like a Kenny Bell or Stefon Diggs or Tre McBride.  And they might not be active all year unless someone get injured.

This line of thinking really perplexes me.  The way I see it, the only sure lock to make the roster at WR is KB.  I don't think we signed Ginn just to cut him and I do think we like Brown, but I don't see either of those guys as untouchable.  Cotchery's dead money and cap hit are a near wash.  We wouldn't lose any significant cap space by cutting him, but we wouldn't really gain anything either.  He's definitely not a sure thing to be on the roster.

Right now, we have one starting caliber NFL WR and a bunch of #4 WR type guys.  If we added a legit #2 WR either through FA or the draft, I know exactly where he'd play - opposite KB.

This line of thinking really perplexes me. The way I see it, the only sure lock to make the roster at WR is KB. I don't think we signed Ginn just to cut him and I do think we like Brown, but I don't see either of those guys as untouchable. Cotchery's dead money and cap hit are a near wash. We wouldn't lose any significant cap space by cutting him, but we wouldn't really gain anything either. He's definitely not a sure thing to be on the roster.

Right now, we have one starting caliber NFL WR and a bunch of #4 WR type guys. If we added a legit #2 WR either through FA or the draft, I know exactly where he'd play - opposite KB.

Yeah I didn't understand that either..

If you get a legit number 2 or a guy who can be a #1/2 with KB.. The rest of those guys don't see the field aa much.. Which is a good thing. .

Absolutely, but several of those moves were from the pre-cap era. Moves like Brees and Woods on were also exceptional values. Revis to NE is the only huge-money example I can think of that arguably put a team over the hump, but NE had the money to do it because of masterful cap handling and solid talent across the rest of the roster.

Well the Patriots had Lafell, Browner, Revis and Blount this year and each played a major role in the super bowl run. While I understand and mostly agree with what you say I must say that free agency does matter quiet a bit but it's all about not over spending, finding the hidden gems and not signing a bust.

Well the Patriots had Lafell, Browner, Revis and Blount this year and each played a major role in the super bowl run. While I understand and mostly agree with what you say I must say that free agency does matter quiet a bit but it's all about not over spending, finding the hidden gems and not signing a bust.

Yes, and that's my exact point. We appear to agree.

Yeah I didn't understand that either..

If you get a legit number 2 or a guy who can be a #1/2 with KB.. The rest of those guys don't see the field aa much.. Which is a good thing. .

Not just that, but a legit #2 would open up a lot of opportunities for those guys.  If you have two legit outside guys to keep the D honest, now you free up a guy like Ginn to go deep against a safety or nickelback.  I like that.  It helps the OL because it means maybe some guys can actually get open.  It helps Olsen because now maybe he gets more LB matchups instead of drawing a DB.  It helps the running game because now we have receiving options to keep them honest so that they can't stack the box on every down.

Younger mediocrity maybe.  Otherwise to get a true #2, as everyone wants, we are going to end up spending at least 20 million.  With about maybe 6-8 of that guaranteed.  If you want more help with the secondary and a DE that can start, I just don't see how that can happen without doing some Hurney economics and screwing yourself in the future.  In the draft sure, go with BPA.  In UFA, I just don't see how you can afford another expensive WR. 

if it is just more of the same then just keep what you have instead of going on a 2 yr or more exercise in futility.I just don't see the genius that is extolled here  by many followers. why would we need to get a starting DE don't we have one? why do we need more help in the secondary didn't we get that? at some point we will need to pay a little more to get a little more.Are we building depth first then adding starters, is that the plan? so how long does that take? if this is all a 5 yr plan then say so.

Not just that, but a legit #2 would open up a lot of opportunities for those guys. If you have two legit outside guys to keep the D honest, now you free up a guy like Ginn to go deep against a safety or nickelback. I like that. It helps the OL because it means maybe some guys can actually get open. It helps Olsen because now maybe he gets more LB matchups instead of drawing a DB. It helps the running game because now we have receiving options to keep them honest so that they can't stack the box on every down.

There is pretty much no downside in actually having to legit starting WR on the field. . It helps other guys play the role they are accustomed to..

if it is just more of the same then just keep what you have instead of going on a 2 yr or more exercise in futility.I just don't see the genius that is extolled here  by many followers. why would we need to get a starting DE don't we have one? why do we need more help in the secondary didn't we get that? at some point we will need to pay a little more to get a little more.Are we building depth first then adding starters, is that the plan? so how long does that take? if this is all a 5 yr plan then say so.

I am not saying you can't sign a big time #2 receiver I am saying it might not be the wisest of decisions.  Let's look at the lions.  They have a big cap hit for a QB a WR and last year they went out and signed a big time 1/2 receiver.  Golden Tate is a good player and is costing them quite a bit against the cap, a little over $5 million.  Because of all that spending they lost Suh. 

Sometime this offseason we will get a big contract for Cam, next year Luke, the year after that KK or Star, maybe both.  If you want to go out and spend a big contract on a 1/2 WR which one of those guys do you want to lose.  Because you won't keep all of them.

For all the back and forth arguing about how to build a team I'm sitting here looking at the starting QB's for those teams people are using as examples and it seems to me they had a bigger factor than anything.

Manning

Brady

Rodgers

Wilson

Luck

Brees

Replace these guys with lower tier QB's and does anyone believe they are as good, never mind getting a sniff at the SB.

Archived