• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Boykin to Visit per Rapoport

NYPantherFan

I would be content with waiting for the draft to add another receiver prospect if the extent of our offseason busy work wasn't seemingly limited to resigning our own aging players who weren't exactly conference champs last year anyways. We have other areas that need to be addressed and the first two rounds of the draft aren't quite going to be enough to touch up on it all.

Its a balance between filling a Need vs Upgrading Talent. When you are working on a budget like ours (including the budget of the next couple of years which this years' contracts will impact) Need is filled in FA, primarily by signing your own proven players, and talent is upgraded in the draft. This is a proven winning formula.

We don't have a need at WR, but we do need more talent which we will find in the draft. 

We did have a need at OT, KR, DT and as well as Safety. Looks like we addressed the first 3. 

No, this is like saying we don't need to throw money at Tyson Alualu or Lamarr Woodley because they had as many sacks as Ealy had last year.

The amount of people on here that see a name like Johnson, Britt, Nicks or Moore and have tantrums is hilariously frustrating, and just shows how uneducated some of our fan base still is.

Let me put it to you another way. Nicks, Britt, Moore, Johnson and Shorts had fewer combined yards than Allen Hurns and Mike Evans last year. We do not need any of these average WRs who are going to cost more for the "name" and "potential upside" they carry when this WR draft class is almost as good as last years.

Our safety and CB depth and experience is far more worrying than "Wide receiver number 2".

I would have to disagree with this. Our defense was around top 5 through the last month of play. It would be great to upgrade Saftey and CB, but WR 2 is much more important. (By far) If we had a decent complement to KB, we may could have beat Seattle. It doesn't matter how much time we give Cam, if no one can get open......we won't win. We need playmakers at WR more than we need air.

I would have to disagree with this. Our defense was around top 5 through the last month of play. It would be great to upgrade Saftey and CB, but WR 2 is much more important. (By far) If we had a decent complement to KB, we may could have beat Seattle. It doesn't matter how much time we give Cam, if no one can get open......we won't win. We need playmakers at WR more than we need air.

Well we could draft a WR in the 1st round, get a safety in the 2nd or 3rd round and a nickle back can be found in the 4-5 round. Add a solid tackle and RB and there's our roster for 2015.

Well we could draft a WR in the 1st round, get a safety in the 2nd or 3rd round and a nickle back can be found in the 4-5 round. Add a solid tackle and RB and there's our roster for 2015.

This draft is horrible at the safety position and thin at CB.. Free Agency is better at both position. .

This draft is horrible at the safety position and thin at CB.. Free Agency is better at both position. .

True. In fact there are a lot of decent safeties in free agency that could be an upgrade to what we have and there are quiet a bit of pretty good safeties that are coming off of major injuries if we wanted to take the risk.

I do believe there are still a few safeties that could be drafted in the 2nd-3rd round that could start. We would have to get one in early rounds since there isn't much depth at the position.

I agree about the the safety class.  It's really top heavy at CB though but beyond the top-8 or so, yea it drops off substantially. 

True. In fact there are a lot of decent safeties in free agency that could be an upgrade to what we have and there are quiet a bit of pretty good safeties that are coming off of major injuries if we wanted to take the risk.

I do believe there are still a few safeties that could be drafted in the 2nd-3rd round that could start. We would have to get one in early rounds since there isn't much depth at the position.

That's the problem because pass rusher, OT, and #2 WR are bigger needs.... and we should be able to get a really good prospect each in the early rounds.

So I hope Gettlemen plans are to take advantage of Free Agency for Secondary help and use the draft for the other stuff. .

That's the problem because pass rusher, OT, and #2 WR are bigger needs.... and we should be able to get a really good prospect each in the early rounds.

So I hope Gettlemen plans are to take advantage of Free Agency for Secondary help and use the draft for the other stuff. .

Agree completely which is why I hope we somehow acquire more draft picks. If we could trade down and get an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick it would be like getting another starter.

Also if the top tackles are gone when we pick I see no reason why we can't draft a WR in the first, pass rusher and safety in the second and third then draft someone like Havenstein or a Daryl Williams in the fourth round. I could see our draft going like this

1st: Jaelen Strong

2nd: Owamagbe odighizuwa

3rd: Safety

4: Tackle

Or possibly drafting a safety in the second if Gettleman sees on that is BPA and then drafting DE Flowers or Preston Smith in the 3rd. Either one seems like a winner to me.

Its a balance between filling a Need vs Upgrading Talent. When you are working on a budget like ours (including the budget of the next couple of years which this years' contracts will impact) Need is filled in FA, primarily by signing your own proven players, and talent is upgraded in the draft. This is a proven winning formula.

We don't have a need at WR, but we do need more talent which we will find in the draft.

We did have a need at OT, KR, DT and as well as Safety. Looks like we addressed the first 3.

Having bodies isn't "filling a need"

We aren't, or it should utterly horrify you if we are , simply trying to get 53 guys on the roster. We should be trying to field a team that is better than Seattle, New England.

We shouldn't be trying to hold water. We should be trying to be the best.

Michael Oher isn't addressing a need. Ted Ginn isn't addressing a need.

We aren't, or it should utterly horrify you if we are , simply trying to get 53 guys on the roster. We should be trying to field a team that is better than Seattle, New England.

Careful with the vernacular there. 

Addressing a need is not filling a need and this Dave Gettleman guy keeps saying he will address areas of need in the FA, fill them in the draft. 

He appears to be a fan of assembling a roster from the bottom up and filling the big spots in the draft with BPA in mind.  

No but it helps having an experience vet that can get the job done decently if we are not able to draft/sign someone in that position. If we didn't sign Oher then we would be panicking come draft time and more than likely have to reach for a tackle instead of going BPA. Gettleman likes going BPA and if you have a major hole at any position it forces you to fill that position in the draft. This is a major reason players are drafted a round or two early and end up being bust. BPA over need!

Archived