• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

best coaches 2015 per rotoworld

electro's horse

Yea you're right so it was technically a losing season I guess it's how you look at it. I feel like a division title, playoff berth, and a playoff win is a winning season.

A playoff win is a successful season in my opinion. Haven't had one of those in years.

In the areas of player evaluation and clock management though, oy :(

Please explain why you think you're qualified to question his player evaluation. I agree he hasn't managed the clock to the best of a head coach's abilities, but I can't say I would question his player evaluation.

Please explain why you think you're qualified to question his player evaluation. I agree he hasn't managed the clock to the best of a head coach's abilities, but I can't say I would question his player evaluation.

Because we didn't start seeing improvement in some areas until injuries made the decisions for him.

Williams over Stewart, Amini over Norwell, championing guys like Fua and Bell, etc.

Those are the sorts of things that give me pause.

We have the Andy Dalton of coaches, huh?

So a head coach needs to be good at evaluating personnel, game planning, in-game strategy, and teaching (technique/fundamentals/drills).  I think Rivera and his staff are outstanding at the last item, particularly on the defensive side of the ball.  I'm not in love with his in-game strategy but I understand where he's coming from most of the time.  As far as game planning, he's amazingly bad after the bye.  I don't know what's up with that, but in general the more time you give him and his staff the worse the team is.

Still, he has a hell of a lot of talent to play with right now; our roster is as good as I can remember it ever being.  If we can get the offensive line in shape and another legitimate receiving threat, then we should be good for a string of 10+ win seasons.  

How much input, if any, does Rivera have with the offensive gameplans? It seems to me that he lets his OCs do most of the gameplanning while he makes in game decisions (like 4th down conversions, playing for a field goal, etc).

I may be somewhat biased after the Fox years, when we had several OCs yet very minimal changes were made to our offense. During the Rivera years, there is a very stark contrast between Chud's and Shula's offenses. Chud's offense was very aggressive, almost to the point of being detrimental to the team's success. Shula's offense is designed around simply taking what the defense allows and keeping the other team's offense on the sideline.

I bring this up because Rivera is often criticized for being too conservative offensively, but imo, no conservative defensive coach would allow Chud to install the read option as our base offense. To me, that signifies that he is extremely detached from the offensive side of the ball.

Our woes in 2012 were obvious to everyone. The read option was not a viable base offense. I know Ron saw it. Chud saw it, but his ego didn't allow him to believe it. I think the late changes were forced on Ron because, once again, he didn't have the testosterone to make the changes himself early in the season.

Hilarious listening to people bash someone for being "mediocre" when they are one if th 15 best in the world at what they do. The competition for head coaches is fierce and competitive. Yet people who can only dream at being just below avg at their jobs continue to take shots....priceless.

ah look another poorly veiled "HES IN THE LEAGUE AND YOUR ARENT SO HES THE BOMB" post that has become a commonplace tactic among the apologetic crowd when confronted with an argument like this.

Ron isn't here to be a mediocre. He isn't being compared to PanthersUnited, or Pantherclaw, or you. He's being compared to Pete Carroll, and Bill Belichick, and John Harbaugh. And guess what? He compares poorly.

You don't win Super Bowls being 17th best hurray! at your job. He's going to have to be way better than that if we want a championship, and then he's going to have to be even better to cover for a devoid of talent at key areas that the team feels no apparent need to address.

If the Panthers finally play well at the start of the season.....AND the middle of the season......to go along with how well they play at the end of the season...             He will be considered a good HC..  Not by a lot of Panther fans,  of course..   since a lot of Panther fans expect perfection at all times....since we've come to expect that with our franchises' long and trophy filled history.

Archived