• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Davis will get an extension, plus more not mentioned in tweets

Nick_81

So TD retires a Panther after winning a couple Superbowls and gets a statue? Yes?

That brings up the ever problematic question of who's the greatest Panther or statue worthy. Twitter just had this discussion and it came down to Kasay and Smitty.

Is anyone statue worthy? I think TD makes a good case. My favorite Panther of all time was Dan Morgan. 25 tackles in the Superb Owl?! What a beast. He just had no off switch and got concussions in practice.

But Morgan isn't statue worthy. Kasay, Smitty, TD? Tough to say.

Between beating up teammates and acting like an ass and badmouthing the franchise, Steve Smith isn't getting a statute. Come back to retire a Panther? Probably. But he isn't getting a statute.

Thomas Davis will get a statute.

Personally I agree with you. But is he the greatest Panther? Smitty that is. I don't think so. But I would say he's borderline HoF. Maybe just shy. But statues are about being emblematic of the organization. TD is much more that than anything. So I agree, he's the likely candidate for the next statue.

Just want to add that CJ is still awesome and extremely underrated.  If it wasn't for Hardy's off field problems, you couldn't go wrong with either... but off field issues are sadly a factor, and CJ is the better player to hitch your wagon too, but as a straight up player, Hardy is better (or was, don't know how he'll be after so much time off).

It might be morbid but I hope the extension is structured in a way that gets his salary off the books if his ACL blows out again.

He's a pro-bowl caliber linebacker and deserves to be paid like one but I'm nervous everytime he goes in for a tackle, and two seasons healthy doesn't prove that it couldn't happen again at any time. 

He's right.

Hardy was neck and neck with CJ in 2012, with CJ still having the edge, but Hardy surpassed him in 2013. I honestly don't understand how that was so hard to see.

Hardy was never better than CJ.

CJ is the one who was always double teamed, which helped Hardy even more. CJ also played '13 with a bum knee after that Patriot chop blocked him. Not to mention that nearly half of Hardy's 2013 stats came against the worst LT in football while playing week 17 against a terrible 4-12 team.

Those stat stuffing games against ATL's terrible OL really raised the hype and myth around Hardy.

But this year will be different. Hardy doesn't have CJ in Dallas to take on double teams and leave him with 1 on 1 coverage. He's going to be the one getting double teamed.

Hardy was never better than CJ.

CJ is the one who was always double teamed, which helped Hardy even more. CJ also played '13 with a bum knee after that Patriot chop blocked him. Not to mention that nearly half of Hardy's 2013 stats came against the worst LT in football while playing week 17 against a terrible 4-12 team.

Those stat stuffing games against ATL's terrible OL really raised the hype and myth around Hardy.

But this year will be different. Hardy doesn't have CJ in Dallas to take on double teams and leave him with 1 on 1 coverage. He's going to be the one getting double teamed.

Dude, that's a load of crap.  CJ wasn't "always" double teamed... Hardy was the one facing double teams more often than not.  Hardy and Star were the two most double teamed players on the line in 2013.  In 2012 you have an argument, but not 2013.  Hardy also VERY consistently got pressures and QB hits (near the top of the league in fact) WHILE going up against LTs, who are generally the team's best pass protector.

I hate when people bring up that "but he feasted on bad LTs!" argument.  That's what the fug elite DE's do.  Julius Pepper did it, Jared Allen made a career out of it, and the list goes on.  You can't hold completely taking over a game against Hardy.  Even when Hardy wasn't getting sacks he was consistently causing disruption in the backfield forcing bad throws or closing up running lanes.  You sit here and use the argument that CJ was injured in 2013, but at the same time ignore that fact that during Hardy's back-to-back games where he got 7 sacks... CJ was injured... and Hardy was facing double teams like crazy.  That logic is circular as hell.

Hardy is also way better at playing the run than CJ, even in 2012.  Hardy is damn near just as effective from lining up and rushing the passer from inside as he was outside, which allowed us to dial up all kinds of pressure on 3rd downs.

He's also younger.

Just to sweeten the pot even more, Hardy also had the speed and athleticism to drop back into coverage and actually be effective in certain blitz packages.

CJ is the man, but Hardy as he was in 2013, is a better player than CJ even before he got leg-whipped.  Player to player, Hardy is more valuable.

wait the core isn't Jstew and the Foz?

wat is this

Nope it's actually Nate Chandler, Edmund Kugbila and Amini Silatolu with a healthy dose of Stephen Hill sprinkled in.

I believe that we should add TD to the core. Sign that man!

Archived