• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Strickland gives synopsis on Gman at NFL Annual Meeting, and some of my thoughts

top dawg

Edit--TLDR: You better take what Gettleman says with a grain of salt, and temper your expectations even lower than what you believe that his  actual words mean, because what he means and what you think that he means in terms of free agency may not add up to even the slightest bit of satisfaction, but unnecessary frustration.

By now, I'm sure that many have heard bits and pieces of what Dave Gettleman has said during interviews here and there at the NFL meeting in Phoenix.  Well, suffice it to say to the contentment of some and perhaps chagrin of many---or perhaps those who are somewhere likely sober in between---Gettleman is who we think he is.  He is a guy that has supreme confidence in his team building philosophy, and is extremely fiscally conservative when it comes to making even what many might consider to be even the slightest bit of a splash when it comes to free agency.  What his definition of a step up in class in free agents, doesn't quite add up to what many were thinking, and like reported in the Sirius interview thread, Gettleman is nearly content with how he has used free agency to set up, or maybe I should say free up, the draft. 

"We've addressed the left tackle spot. We have addressed the speed wide receiver spot. We've got our whole front coming back with Dwan and Colin signing," Gettleman said. "I'm very pleased with what we've done. I told you guys that we would be able to step up in class (in regards to free agent spending) a little bit, and we've done that. We extended (tight end) Greg Olsen, which was very important for us. He just keeps getting better.

"I said we'd be able to move into mid-level deals, and that's what we did with (tight end) Ed Dickson, Dwan Edwards, Michael Oher and Teddy Ginn."

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Gettleman-Roster-rounding-into-shape-for-draft/76b4f825-bfb9-4d55-bbdf-85280b02f0e7

Now, of course I have a few thoughts about the matter which have me kind of shaking my head at ol' Dave.  He got us all hot and bothered by stepping up in class...to many guys that we are already familiar with. I know that Gettleman didn't necessarily mean to "trick" the fan base, but why do I feel like I've been played? And, no, I didn't play myself, Gettleman led us to believe that we were in for a little excitement---something new.  And I am not talking about Michael Oher (although I am hopeful especially after Gettleman said he looked at three years worth of tape)

Sure signing Greg Olsen was absolutely great, but after last season I believe that we all expected Olsen to be a long term Panther. Dear Dave, it's not like that was what we thought you meant when you said we would we would "be able to to step up in class a little bit."  We expect you to keep guys that are essential to the team and have been doing things the right way.  And as far as moving to mid-level deals, in what world is signing still relatively short and cheapish deals to Ed Dickson, Dwan Edwards, and Ted Ginn Jr. actually some marked move up? Don't get me wrong, they were smart signings, but Gman basically held serve.  Many people thought that both Dickson and Edwards wouldn't even be here, and not because they were essential to our success, but because they were arguably expendable.  And Ginn and Dickson were both Dollar Store Dave signings in the past, so don't try and pass them off as some "mid-level" or mid-tier signings now, even if they had some decidedly marginal success in our system.  Again, I think they are smart signings that add good depth, but in Ginn's case, I find it a little bit unsettling that signing Ginn adequately addresses our need for speed at the wide receiver spot, but maybe that's just me.  Perhaps i am just being overly cynical.  At least we should all know what Ginn brings to the table, and maybe Ginn with Benjamin and Cotchery or a draftee will be much improved over Ginn and Smitty and LaFell.  We will see.  

The good thing is that we are not done in free agency (though it almost sounds like it). To my disappointment, I don't see us adding any more speed (DMo) to our receiving corps the way that Gettleman has been talking, I personally would be excited to add a superb route runner like Greg Jennings in the mix. Perhaps Jennings and Ball won't ultimately feel like low-balled "gypsies" (another Gman term) with Gman's proposed contractual terms. And we always have the draft, which should again be interesting, especially considering that Gman deems the team very close to where it needs to be in order for him to select the BPA in each round.  I really look forward to seeing what he will do with nine picks, even if he trades a pick or two which he considers an option.

All in all, I think that we can feel good that Gettleman feels good about where the team is in reference to the draft.  In theory this should allow him to swing for the fences so to speak during the draft.  His signings, though arguably not appreciably moving up in class,did provide the team with safe players familiar with our system that may be able to finish out their careers as Panthers, especially given how well players seem to like the organizational culture and know how Gman operates.  As for us fans, the way that Gettleman operates will continue to be a lesson in patience if nothing else.

Why do people only listen to half of what Gettleman says and then say they're disappointed that he's not doing the things HE says we can't do? 

"If we just willy-nilly sign players, what are you guys going to say when I say, 'We don't have the money for Cam. We don't have the money for Luke. We don't have the money for KK (Kawann Shorticon-article-link.gif) and Star (Lotulelei) and eventually Kelvin (Benjamin)?' " Gettleman said. "How irresponsible would it be if I looked at Mr. (Jerry) Richardson and said, 'We can't sign so-and-so because we signed these three guys?'

Yes, Ginn does fill the need for speed at Wide Receiver, without spending $10 on Cobb or $9 on Smith. He fills the NEED, to have a receiver that can run fast up the field and "stretch the field" as people around here like to say. In fact Ed Dickson, Dwan and Ginn are all in my view in the second tier at their position in FA. Look at which TEs were available and tell me Dickson wasn't in the top 5, do the same with DTs and Dwan, arguably Ginn wasn't top 5 in this receiver FA class but his utility as a returner definitely had teams interested. 

Why do people only listen to half of what Gettleman says and then say they're disappointed that he's not doing the things HE says we can't do? 

Yes, Ginn does fill the need for speed at Wide Receiver, without spending $10 on Cobb or $9 on Smith. He fills the NEED, to have a receiver that can run fast up the field and "stretch the field" as people around here like to say. In fact Ed Dickson, Dwan and Ginn are all in my view in the second tier at their position in FA. Look at which TEs were available and tell me Dickson wasn't in the top 5, do the same with DTs and Dwan, arguably Ginn wasn't top 5 in this receiver FA class but his utility as a returner definitely had teams interested. 

People weren't even necessarily thinking that we would even keep Dickson or Dwan, so that's kind of a stretch to say that they were mid-tier signings. Most were thinking Cole or Edwards, and Dickson is hardly some huge step at TE. We arguably could have done without him as much good as he did in our offense last season. I could name some more intriguing---or at least equal---prospects out there right now, but that would really be a useless argument.  

Most people were concerned with the receivers, and most of them weren't expecting us to sign Cobb or even Smith. So why even bring them up?  Many people thought and still think that Ginn was basically a special teams signing. I guess he will give us the basics as far as a receiver goes, and, sure, I suppose that he fills that basic "need for speed".  

People weren't even necessarily thinking that we would even keep Dickson or Dwan, so that's kind of a stretch to say that they were mid-tier signings. Most were thinking Cole or Edwards, and Dickson is hardly some huge step at TE. We arguably could have done without him as much good as he did in our offense last season. I could name some more intriguing---or at least equal---prospects out there right now, but that would really be a useless argument.  

Most people were concerned with the receivers, and most of them weren't expecting us to sign Cobb or even Smith. So why even bring them up?  Many people thought and still think that Ginn was basically a special teams signing. I guess he will give us the basics as far as a receiver goes, and, sure, I suppose that he fills that basic "need for speed".  

And this is my point, no where in this do you actually explain WHAT you are looking for. All you're doing is complaining about a lack of money spent, regardless of who was available to spend it on. The same tired complaint made every year on this board. 

You don't think bringing in Jennings...If even just for an interview, is not a step up in class from last year?

I believe you have over analysed this yo the point of confusion. You have an angle you want to portray and will twist your logic however you need to to reach it.

I think if you are very disappointed in free agency this year it has been because your expectations have been unreasonable not that Gettleman hasnt done what he said he was going to do.  The only thing you can be upset about is that Jennings and Ball left without signing. And who is to say they wont still sign?  Free agency has really got multiple layers to it and we aren't through the first one yet. There are still multiple receivers out there like Crabtree for example who are getting little attention and are supposedly waiting for the right deal like Jennings.  Then after the draft there will be another blood letting and again during training camp.

FWIW. I dont think Jennings is worth a big contract.  At 32 he isnt a vertical threat anymore but rather another possession receiver who really isnt going to do that much for us that getting a first or second rounder in the draft wont do.  We have already shown that we can develop rookies into good performers as we did with Benjamin and to a lesser degree Brown when he is healthy.

The biggest areas of need were left tackle and returner and we covered that.  Sure there are other areas we need for depth but we dont have all the holes we had last year with the development of all our rookies during 2014.  So if you are disappointed it isn't Gettleman's fault so much as your own for expecting us to just change our philosophy from building through the draft and finding decent affordable guys in free agency.  A philosophy that we have been using even before Gettleman got here.  Dave is just better with the draft than Hurney was after the first round. 

And this is my point, no where in this do you actually explain WHAT you are looking for. All you're doing is complaining about a lack of money spent, regardless of who was available to spend it on. The same tired complaint made every year on this board. 

Actually I did.  I was looking for something new.  Something to get a little excited over, but that''s not really the point.  If Gettleman had said that we may try to make a signing or two to fill some basic needs, but specifically concentrating on re-signing or extending some of our own guys, then I wouldn't have had even the slightest bit of expectations. That was the whole point.

We never had a whole lot of money, but we did have a little to spend here and there.  You saw all the tiered lists of WRs just like i did, so you should at least have some idea of the names that were flying around as possibilities. You should have also seen the relatively modest money that would have had to be doled out also. But the names don't even really matter at this point, because the point is is that if G-man had worded things a little differently, then the writers wouldn't have even made lists in reference to whom we may have targeted and expectations would have been held in check accordingly.

Actually I did. I was looking for something new. Something to get a little excited over, but that''s not really the point. If Gettleman had said that we may try to make a signing or two to fill some basic needs, but specifically concentrating on re-signing or extending some of our own guys, then I wouldn't have had even the slightest bit of expectations. That was the whole point.

We never had a whole lot of money, but we did have a little to spend here and there. You saw all the tiered lists of WRs just like i did, so you should at least have some idea of the names that were flying around as possibilities. You should have also seen the relatively modest money that would have had to be doled out also. But the names don't even really matter at this point, because the point is is that if G-man had worded things a little differently, then the writers wouldn't have even made lists in reference to whom we may have targeted and expectations would have been held in check accordingly.

Then blame our awful writers. Those names are still there.

Archived