• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Strickland gives synopsis on Gman at NFL Annual Meeting, and some of my thoughts

top dawg

So I guess that spending 3 million per year on Stevie Johnson for example was just an unreasonable expectation.  I suppose that signing a very fast TE with good hands like Rob Housler who will probably come cheap for example is an unreasonable expectation.  

I am not crazy in thinking that Gettleman could have wording things differently in such a way that bloggers, reporters and writers would have not been carried away with fiscally responsible possibilities, nor am I off base in thinking that we could have done these things and still stuck to the core principle of building through the draft, and filling out holes in the roster with modest free agent signings who would upgraded the roster. 

Again, we can look at everyone who was signed by other teams and make a case that we should have signed them or they were pretty cheap and therefore obtainable.  Gettleman is looking at what he perceives are our needs and trying to fit pieces that meet a need and still are reasonable given that he is one of the few that has the big picture.

You are not crazy in thinking he could have gone in a different direction or for stating your opinion.  Nor is he wrong for not following your opinions and doing things as you think they should be done either.   He has a much better idea of what he thinks our needs are and more importantly what he sees is the potential for many of the people on our roster or in the draft.  For example he may think that Brown is a younger version or Johnson who he can develop this year into a good receiver.  Why buy Jonson for 3 million when you have a receiver with the same potential already on your roster signed for cheap.  Or he may think that since Dickson got significantly better as the season unfolded, there is no need to sign a guy like Housler.

Again I understand that there are multiple ways to solve a problem. I am just not sure that your solution is better than his given he has information you don't and by most accounts is a very good judge of talent. And honestly which GM gives an exact blueprint of what he is going to do do that other teams can upstage him by signing our players first.  Ginn is a serious upgrade over Bersin and a potential 3 or even sometimes 2 receiver with Cam throwing him the ball. He may not be anything but a returner for most teams but for us he was an integral part of the offense.  

We have fans more concerned with media hype, making a splash, winning free agency and being a media darling than putting in the work ti build a winner.

This is true, and ironically they are often the ones saying those who aren't hand-wringing or whining enough are settling for mediocrity

Biggest takeway I get from that from that is that he feels like Ginn is the speed answer so the next WR will be a slot guy.

Also maybe it's just the Kool-Aid talking about everything I'm hearing sounds like the team feels good with Oher at LT. I'm sure we'll still draft someone for depth but it seems like Gman's more confident in him than the fans are.

I like you top dawg, but I get the feeling that you are being so critical about the Ginn signing because his name wasn't Denarius.

LOL. OK, maybe you got me.

The DMo thing is the damnedest thing though. He must really have a fuged up attitude and work ethic or something. If I had a $100 for every time someone basically said that he'd be a good fit here, I could get me a nice little toy. But it is whatever it is.

I honestly don't hate the Ginn decision, and I fully understand on an intellectual level why it was made, but I didn't exactly jump for joy either.

I guess everyone who had previously bought their Ginn jerseys can dust them off and wear them with pride once more...

LMBO

I agree with this 100%, Gman made a huge mistake with his step up in class comments, especially when he was so deliberate in saying we would go from dollar tree to Target this year, big mistake and now he is playing defense and damage control in having to explain and clarify. He should have stuck with the same talking points "We are still cap challenged, I will continue to employ the same strategy I have employed the last two years that won us back to back NFC south titles." How hard would that have been? But instead he went off in this talk about dollar tree, target and stepping up in class, big mistake.

I wouldn't necessarily classify it as "huge" or "big", but I appreciate your underlying thought. At least the point didn't go over your head.

Archived