• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If I Had to Call the WR Depth Chart Today...

SetfreexX

1. KB

2. Vet other than Cotchery, Jennings is just fine

3. Rookie or Ginn

4. Rookie or Ginn

5. Brown

Not buying the Hill talk.

The only real difference between this and the OP is Hill at 5 or Brown at 5. I'm good with this line up with whomever wins that 5 spot. I'd rather Hill just because of size and speed. If he wins then good. If Brown wins that 5th spot well then good. Either way I think it's a solid line up.

Not getting Jennings though would change things. As no one thinks Cothery can be a legit #2. So the whole dynamic changes. It could force the rookie to be the #2 or maybe Ginn. I'm not sure. And one last wrench in the monkey would be if we don't draft a WR at all. After the Huddle meltsdown, I'm not sure what the lineup would look like.

I think what a lot of people forget about Hill in comparison to Brown is Gettleman's philosophy, of big men allowing you to compete. That has applied not only to trench players but also skill positions. I think the team likes the 6'4 speed receiver, vs the 5'11 speed receiver. 

This isn't a "I like Hill because he's fast, I'm a Georgia Tech fan post"...But if I look at our trend of no loyalty to non-core players, an obsession with size to a healthy degree, as well as improving team speed. If that 5th spot comes down to those two I think Hill will get the nod. 

I liked Philly as a receiver and was glad when he was inserted into the line-up at the least just to change it up because the passing game was so weak; but he's not a Steve Smith caliber athlete, he's thin, not overwhelmingly fast, he was just OUR fastest receiver at the time. 

You're going to get a bunch of crap for not including Philly Brown. I agree with you though, because he really is nothing special. Good speed not great and he always lets the ball fall into his chest. He's not a bad player but we can certainly find 5 WR's better than him and since he can't catch punts he really doesn't have much use on special teams. 

I kinda think we'll go back to having 6 receivers...once we cut Avant we were stuck with KB, Cotch, Philly, Bersin, and Presley. I also don't think adding Jennings necessarily means Cotchery is gone, all he has to do is beat out the likes of Bersin, Presley, Hill, Lucas, and Mike Brown for one of those last spots.

Benjamin, (Jennings), Cotchery, Brown, Ginn, and probably a rookie.

I think we'll keep 6 as well, but I don't see us keeping Cotch if we sign Jennings. Just no point in keeping 2 of the exact same type receiver, and Jennings is wayyyyyy better than Cotch. I think it'd save us $1.5M if he was designated june 1 cut so it'd be worth it to cut him. I think we'll draft 2 WRs this year. One in the first 2 rounds and then someone like Hardy later on (probably someone with return ability as well since Ginn isn't the longterm answer there). So Benji, Jennings (Cotch if we don't sign Jennings), Ginn, Brown, rookie, rookie. Obviously depth chart could/would change during camp. Honestly don't see any of Lucas, Hill, Presley, Mike Brown or Bersin making the roster. Probably keep a few on the PS if we can. I feel Ginn, KB and Brown are all locks to make the roster.

You're going to get a bunch of crap for not including Philly Brown. I agree with you though, because he really is nothing special. Good speed not great and he always lets the ball fall into his chest. He's not a bad player but we can certainly find 5 WR's better than him and since he can't catch punts he really doesn't have much use on special teams. 

Brown was our most consistent receiver last year. 

Just no point in keeping 2 of the exact same type receiver.

Are they that similar though? I mean, last season we kept both Cotchery and Avant, and I find that pair much more comparable. Underwood was supposed to be the vertical threat, but he was outperformed by both so we kept two position receivers as our 2 and 3.

Are they that similar though? I mean, last season we kept both Cotchery and Avant, and I find that pair much more comparable. Underwood was supposed to be the vertical threat, but he was outperformed by both so we kept two position receivers as our 2 and 3.

And what happened to Avant? If Philly didn't hurt his shoulder in the middle of the season, he would've been starting over Avant long before Avant got cut. And he actually did start over Avant against the Steelers. Took him time to develop, but I honestly think he's already better than Cotch. With Jennings as #2, I'd much rather have Philly/Ginn in the slot than Cotch, and I don't want to keep him if we can save $1.5M.

And what happened to Avant? If Philly didn't hurt his shoulder in the middle of the season, he would've been starting over Avant long before Avant got cut. And he actually did start over Avant against the Steelers. Took him time to develop, but I honestly think he's already better than Cotch. With Jennings as #2, I'd much rather have Philly/Ginn in the slot than Cotch, and I don't want to keep him if we can save $1.5M.

Avant wasn't cut for on-field reasons...and I'm not advocating we put Cotch in the slot, that has Ginn/Philly written all over it, but I do think we'll take the best 5-6 guys and I think Cotchery would fit in fine as a a 4-6 receiver.

And sure, we can save a bit this year by cutting him, but then we'll have to take on a $1.35m hit next season.

Archived