• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Update: Charles Tillman signed by Panthers (official)

Ok say i'm a 1st year player, hanging out in the locker room. Tillman walks up to me, puts his hand on my shoulder, and says "Hey man, always do your best." I think wow cool, he's a vet, he knows what he's talking about.

An hour later, I'm sitting in the locker room, Thomas Davis walks up. He puts his hand on my thigh and says "Never do your best."

Now I have no idea what to do, and that mindset will show on the field.

Were you dropped on your head from a height of 12 or more feet in the last 24 hours?  TD telling a Panther player....on this team.....on this roster....to "Never do our best".

WTF is this gibberish?  Are you high?

Last year Saints signed Champ Bailey then he didn't make their 53. Was a nice way to make Champ some extra change and provide leadership during training camp. Might be our plan as well with Tillman

Bailey is 3 years older than Peanut.  In 2012 Bailey was All-Pro and rated the #53 player overall on NFL Network in the 2013 offseason. 

The assumption a lot of people make that a vet can somehow teach everyone at his position all his skills and automatically makes everyone better has always amused me. How often is that true? The Bears secondary outside of Peanut(when he plays) has been terrible recently

We have enough slow dbs getting beat, see our last playoff game. Speed is what i want

Speed can be out done with experience and knowing where to be.. Which Tillman does well..

Be happy our secondary just got better..

doubtful we shelled out $3+ million on a camp body

that $3M number is meaningless. Wait until the details come out. It all comes down to how much he got guaranteed. If we gave him $1.5M+ guaranteed (which I'm thinking we did), then we think he's a lock to make the 53

Keep in mind we got better last year when we replaced older vets in the secondary with younger guys (DeCoud and Cason were replaced by Boston and Benwikere). Like our DC said:

"[We] finally [got] a chance to see what [we] really [had with the vets] and you say, ‘OK, you know what? We need more foot speed.’ And that was evident to most of us early,” McDermott said. " We couldn’t get the foot speed on the field because they were in the training room. But they got healthy, and we got them on as soon as we could"

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article9249461.html

But having Tillman replace Harper on passing downs we be a plus. Also, there will be some guys we play this year Tillman matches up well with at CB which will be a plus

Ok say i'm a 1st year player, hanging out in the locker room. Tillman walks up to me, puts his hand on my shoulder, and says "Hey man, always do your best." I think wow cool, he's a vet, he knows what he's talking about.

An hour later, I'm sitting in the locker room, Thomas Davis walks up. He puts his hand on my thigh and says "Never do your best."

I don't want to derail this thread to the tinderbox, but if one guy walks up to me and talks to me with his hand on my shoulder, and the other one comes up and talks to me with his hand on my thigh, there isn't going to be a whole heck of a lot of confusion as to which one I'm going to trust and maybe listen to.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Lol I gotta agree with the "are you high?" comments Rodeo, you normally talk a lot more sense.

In terms of locker room presence Tillman is replacing Drayton Florence, you can question his impact on the field but Florence was a real leader to the young CBs and they made this clear when he left. Tillman will be nothing but a good presence for Norman, Bene, White and the others.  

That doesn't sound like anything remotely close to something Tommy D might say.....not going to lie, I don't follow this hypothetical scenario you've laid out here...leadership = good, a strong locker room is probably one of the main reasons why we became the first team to win back 2 back NFC South titles.  Sure ATL, NOR, and TB sucked last year, but nevertheless, I'm really liking the number of high character guys our locker room has....don't see how adding another is a negative thing

Archived