• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nicks to Titans.

Jmac

Wow... Gettleman really doesn't give a poo about WR, lol.

I might finally try alcohol this year if we go into the season with Cotchery at #2 again.

edit: and this isn't about Nicks, it's that we have continued to stack at positions of strength and continued to ignore WR. AGAIN, Ginn isn't a guy to be counted on as A WR, he is a returner.

I wouldn't say that. We drafted KB last year, and brought back Ted Ginn and Jarrett Boykin to compete. But I think it is safe to say that DG will not overpay for a receiver with lackluster productivity.

DG is already familiar with Hakeem and for whatever reason, he chose not to bring him back here. Gotta trust that, not just from a talent evaluation... but from a professional history perspective.

And that alone wouldn't bother me... The fact that any WR worth his salt has walked out of here without signing a contract for the last two offseasons at our weakest position does. GREATLY.

The draft is already over?

You might recall commentary from analysts a while back stating that many teams were bypassing free agent receivers because they saw how successful last year's draft class was, and how good this year's class looks to be.

It's just my opinion, but I think we're going WR early in the draft again this year.  Overall, I like our WR depth chart.  We just have a glaring hole at #2.  We have ample bodies to compete for #3 through #5 or #6.  Ginn has shown what he can do in our offense and Brown showed promise last season.  I think they're probably going to compete for that #3 role.  Our #2 will come in the draft.

We drafted a guy named Kelvin and signed a guy named Philly who've looked pretty good so far.

Both have been vastly overrated by most on this board so far. Kelvin is gigantic and slow, with a serious case of dropsies. Philly is small, not as fast as people think, and injury prone. It is very likely that Philly is a career #3 and KB has yet to prove he's even a reliable #2. Yet, everyone here have deemed them the #1 and #2... That's not acceptable. Both could be great and in more appropriate roles if they had more talent around them, specifically a legit #1 or #2 who has proven themselves already (e.g.,Jennings, Moore, Nicks, Britt, even Crabtree).

But what am I talking about? WR was taken care of as soon as we signed all-world Jarrett Boykin and his blazing speed.

Both have been vastly overrated by most on this board so far. Kelvin is gigantic and slow, with a serious case of dropsies. Philly is small, not as fast as people think, and injury prone. It is very likely that Philly is a career #3 and KB has yet to prove he's even a reliable #2. Yet, everyone here have deemed them the #1 and #2... That's not acceptable. Both could be great and in more appropriate roles if they had more talent around them, specifically a legit #1 or #2 who has proven themselves already (e.g.,Jennings, Moore, Nicks, Britt, even Crabtree).

But what am I talking about? WR was taken care of as soon as we signed all-world Jarrett Boykin and his blazing speed.

And again I ask, did I miss the draft?

Why pay vet minimum for average guys like Nicks and Jennings when you can probably get better on a rookie contract in a week?

I don't think anyone has talked about Philly as the potential #2, have they?

I also think you're badly underselling KB.  Prior to last season, only 8 rookie WRs in the last 20 years had 1000+ receiving yards as a rookie.  He definitely needs to work on his consistency, but the dude is a beast and every team and QB in the NFL would love to have him.

the panthers maybe haven't done a lot to drop as many wide receivers around cam as possible but you're just being a hard headed idealogue if you look at a 1000 yard first round rookie receiver and make up a bunch of excuses for why it doesn't count

edit: the pro bowl tight end on this team seemingly doesn't come up in these discussions much either

If we are being honest the only one that isn't massively overrated on this board that you have listed is Jennings and that solely because he likes playing games on twitter too much.

My bad, didn't see that

He dies in alien 3? Was that the prison one?

Yep, at the very beginning of the movie - took a steel beam through the chest during a crash landing. Interestingly, Michael Biehn (actor who played Hicks) got paid more for them just using his likeness for Hicks' dead body in Alien 3 than he got paid for co-starring in Aliens.

I disagree with most of this but I will say this...I do view KB as a potential All Pro #2. It could be my inherent prejudice about what makes a #1 vice #2 but I see KB as the guy who takes advantage of the defense having to double the other WR. I could easily be wrong but I just see KB as an amazing #2.

The draft is already over?

You might recall commentary from analysts a while back stating that many teams were bypassing free agent receivers because they saw how successful last year's draft class was, and how good this year's class looks to be.

And that may be, but personally, fwiw, I don't see this class as deep/talented as last year's.

Additionally, I don't see us investing that heavily in WR in the draft. Gettleman himself has said FA is there to fill needs so you won't have any come draft time and can take the BPA. We have the weakest, thinnest WR corps in the NFL and yet we have signed what, 5 defensive backs this offseason? Then WR, we signed Boykin and Ginn, lol. I think he has demonstrated what positions were 'of need', and WR wasn't one of them to this point.

Yes, we still have the draft, but I don't expect us to target WR. I just don't think Gettleman thinks it is a position of importance in how he wants the team to play,whereas I think the more talent/options you have at each position, the better your team is, regardless of how they're utilized.

Archived