• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Give your grade for the Panthers draft.

hepcat

The rub is he could have almost certainly been signed as an undrafted FA,

You don't know that. You don't have access to other teams boards. Even if he does go undrafted (unlikely), who's to say that he signs with the Panthers? Does a team with three first rounders and a ton of depth sound like a good landing spot for a UDDA trying to make a roster? I'd go somewhere else if I were him. Our scouts obviously liked him a lot. He was his conference defensive player of the year. Gettleman has missed on a single draft pick (Barner) since he's been here. The other two non-hits are injury asterisks. I trust his evaluation skills.

You don't know that. You don't have access to other teams boards. Even if he does go undrafted (unlikely), who's to say that he signs with the Panthers? Does a team with three first rounders and a ton of depth sound like a good landing spot for a UDDA trying to make a roster? I'd go somewhere else if I were him. Our scouts obviously liked him a lot. He was his conference defensive player of the year. Gettleman has missed on a single draft pick (Barner) since he's been here. The other two non-hits are injury asterisks. I trust his evaluation skills.

Barner isn't even that big of a miss - Edmund Kugbila is his biggest whiff.  Spending a 4th rounder on a guy that won't even see the field in the NFL unless a miracle happens.

Mayo was projected to go undrafted.  I have a friend who goes to and writes a blog for Texas State sports and he was surprised Mayo was drafted.  He was expecting him to be on a roster during training camp but thinks he could do well on the Panthers because they already have such good linebackers it was a good situation for him.  Sure I don't know if he would have gone undrafted I just think they could have gotten more value out of that spot, but surely Gettleman knows a ton of poo I don't.  Doesn't mean I have to be a fan of the pick, I think the rest of the draft was solid.

Barner isn't even that big of a miss - Edmund Kugbila is his biggest whiff.  Spending a 4th rounder on a guy that won't even see the field in the NFL unless a miracle happens.

Barner had six rushing attempts for a grand total of seven yards.

Edmund Kugbila was a bust purely because of injuries. It happens.

You realize I live in Austin and San Marcos is just down the road...right?

I lived in Houston last year and made it up to Austin a bunch. I interviewed for two positions there. Who cares, doesn't matter. The point is that some random kid who writes a blog about his college sports team doesn't isn't a source worth mentioning. Its beyond irrelevant. 

I lived in Houston last year and made it up to Austin a bunch. I interviewed for two positions there. Who cares, doesn't matter. The point is that some random kid who writes a blog about his college sports team doesn't isn't a source worth mentioning. Its beyond irrelevant. 

I don't think a former football player who watched all of Texas State's football games opinion on one of their players is "beyond irrelevant".  He watched Mayo play more than anyone else here...

We won't know until at least the end of next season. It might be longer. The Mayo pick confuses me to no end, and Shaq Thompson needs to have a plan made for him.

Other than those, I like it.

Archived