• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

La'el Collins has begun visits

top dawg

People are missing some facts and simple logoc here.

1. No team is going to pay more for the guy. All teams will pay the exact same, which is roughly $500k per year for 3 years.

2. We don't have a 1/32 chance. This isn't roulette. Different teams have different factors involved that will help them or hurt them. Do they need a LT? Could he potentially start day 1? Is the team rising as a whole? Is it a warm climate like Miami with no income taxes? Are there former teammates and friends on the roster? We don't know how high he holds each factor but one could assume that being a starting left tackle is priority in order for him to get that big payday after A few years.

However, we - like every other team - can fully guarantee his 3 year contract which would get him something like $1.5M. So with that in mind, I think our ability to "max" the $85K signing bonus is irrelevant.

It really comes down to where he wants to play and all of the factors that are important to him. We do seem to be near the top considerations given our whole situation. We shall see. If I were him, I would NOT want to miss rookie camp this friday and would make a decision by Thursday morning. But that's just me...and in case you guys didn't know...I don't play in the NFL.

Although to be fair, Desmond Howard only beat me out by 2,077 votes for the Heisman in 1991. I was THAT close.

I think carolina has to be able to offer more than other teams currently because some teams have signed a ton of UDFA's,  think baltimore signed like 20 lol.  So theres more money left from that $88K cap.

I don't think the UDFA bonus is really a significant factor at play since we, or any other team, can fully guarantee his 3 year contract...at roughly $1.5M. So the $85K is largely irrelevant...in my opinion.

1. No team is going to pay more for the guy. All teams will pay the exact same, which is roughly $500 per year for 3 years.

he would make more from unemployment

Welp, we had dinner with him at some point in time. Probably at Applebee's in Pineville.

@Rand_Getlin: Collins also had workouts with the #Chargers, #Bengals and #Eagles, dinner with the #Panthers and #Saints. Worth noting.

1. No team is going to pay more for the guy. All teams will pay the exact same, which is roughly $500 per year for 3 years.

2. We don't have a 1/32 chance. This isn't roulette. Different teams have different factors involved that will help them or hurt them. Do they need a LT? Could he potentially start day 1? Is the team rising as a whole? Is it a warm climate like Miami with no income taxes? Are there former teammates and friends on the roster? We don't know how high he holds each factor but one could assume that being a starting left tackle is priority in order for him to get that big payday after A few years.

One thing to add is teams can offer different amounts of garaunteed money.  If a few teams are willing the garauntee the whole 3 years of the contract that will seperate them from the pack.

One thing to add is teams can offer different amounts of garaunteed money. If a few teams are willing the garauntee the whole 3 years of the contract that will seperate them from the pack.

Given where he was expected to go, I would guess every team that interested in him would be willing to guarantee the maximum amount that they can.

The difference in the money offered is likely going to be relatively minimal no matter where he goes.

sounds like the Redskins (who took Scherff #5 overall) aren't interested in Collins:

ESPN beat reporter for Redskins John Keim @ john_keim

11m

For those wanting the Redskins to pursue OL La'el Collins ,

don't hold your breath. Was told it's not going to happen.

Odds just got better.

Here's something else to consider:

some teams see La'el as a guard-only. Some see him as a RT-only. La'el wants to play left tackle: "Left tackle is definitely where I want to play in the NFL."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2015/02/09/lael-collins-lsu-draft-diary/23125133/

So the teams that view La'el as a LT are going to have priority. Are we even one of those teams? Or do we see him as a RT or an OG?

The good news is that the team closest to his home (the Saints), have him as a guard-only. In the press conference with Sean Payton after the draft, they were asking him a bunch of questions about Peat and Collins. Payton said they had Peat graded higher than Collins, that teams are split on whether he's an OG or an OT, and that the Saints are only looking at him as an OG.

But again, are we one of those teams that see him as a LT? The teams that do will have priority

Odds just got even better. There's also the matter of OTs getting paid better than OGs, something that will be important to him come new contract time given what he lost.

Archived