• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coming to terms with the Frank Kaminsky pick...

Jeremy Igo

Worst part about all this is that the fans may have burned the bridge before the kid could even step foot on it. He could end up being really good for all we know, but if I were him I wouldn't want to stay in Charlotte after last night.

You'd think after Noah and Lance this fanbase would have learned to not get carried away before we see what players are made of.

Pretty much all the people here blasting this kid were creaming their pants for Hairston, and Lance.

Track record here isn't all that great.

I really don't hold his comments about the "Bobcats" against him.

I also REALLY didn't want to pick him.  The pick makes no sense from a roster breakdown standpoint.  After the trades, and considering no other moves were made before the draft yesterday after the Lamb deal, it actually would've made more sense to either go up for Mudiay (which we were rumored to have tried) or trade back a few spots and take Payne or Hunter.  Size and quality backup play at PG was probably our biggest need.  Instead, we took Frank.

Now, if we could trust that Cho and Co. were capable of picking the BPA, then now sweat.  But, he has never done that.  And in my armchair-GM-opinion, there were plenty more prospects that offered tons more value at the 9 spot, regardless of needs, since that wasn't a factor in taking Frank either.

So, if we take them at their word and believe that they believe a guy that wouldn't even come in for a private workout if the BPA, the biggest beef I have with the pick right now is his fit.  We currently have Hawes, Al, Cody, Biz (if given the QO, which he should), and Frank.  How the fug is that going to work???  A gluttony of bigs, and Clifford already has a hard time figuring out a rotation as it is. 

IMO, again, as I repeatedly exclaimed yesterday, Al is the odd man out, IMO.  Is there a place for a back-to-the-basket big in today's NBA?  Absoutely, if they have some semblance of athleticism, average passing ability, and PLAYS DEFENSE.  Al has none of those, so he has to go.  As of right now, I'm still not happy with the pick.  If we moved Al, then I would like the pick, possibly even love it...  Imagine a first unit with Hawes/Zeller and a 2nd with Biz/Frank.  Nice spacing, nice balance of skill and offense and defense with either combo.  Plug Al into either, and poo gets fuged up. 

But, this is our FO, so I fully expect us to not do this, instead, we'll probably let Biz walk and trade Cody before signing Al to a lifetime contract.

The one thing I can take away from the pre-draft and draft acquisitions in a positive light is, from top to bottom, we are MUCH better now than we were a month ago.

i hope frank hears the fans. look up damon stoudamire when he was drafted by the raptors as their first ever draft pick. i think what frank said about the bobcats isn't as big of a shot at us as people seem to feel like it is. in any case, it's true. but if frank thinks that right now then he better also be thinking he can be part of the reason why it's not boring to play here. we don't want mental midgets on this team. if he crumbles or is a baby about the fans not liking him, then he isn't gonna make it here or in the NBA. i hope frank hears how much the fans didn't want him and i hope he is ready to come in and work it on offense to show us that we're wrong. i hope he gets here and wants to show the city why they should want him.

i posted before that what i'm really annoyed about with this pick is just the lack of variety and the obsession with one position and one type of player. i'd love it if cho came out and said hey we need an absolute all-star stud killer at this PF position because it's gonna be the one key position to making this team a top playoff contender. i'd just love to hear the reasoning so at least we know. the one thing that i think about is cho's time with portland and their history of having a stud PF, i remember reading about it in an article about aldridge. i think that's also the reason portland wanted vonleh.

anyway, i think that we're in a good position even if frank is exactly like zeller except not as mentally weak. and by mentally weak i mean being a big man and going into the post and not getting blocked or pushed around. i don't care what anyone says, zeller is big and physically strong enough to not have what happens to him on the post happen. it's because he is mentally blocked from bringing the power down low, it has nothing to do with the NBA being a grown man's league. it sounds like frank has a lot more fire and grit than zeller and that is the key to making the talent work. frank is a killer and that's the difference between a guy like zeller and a 20/10 guy each night. if frank brings the heat then i'll be happy.

Hey Jeremy, we loath you too. :D

Miami ownership > Charlotte ownership

Pat Riley >>>>>>>>>> MJ/Cho

3 Rings vs 0 Rings

Of course you hate us.

I conclude this mocking with na-na-na-boo-boo stick your head in doo-doo.

1 Lebron >>>> 0 Lebrons

I'll give you '06. I honestly found myself routing for Miami that series and respected the hell out of Wade. Too bad he became the Kanye West of basketball.

Frank is a fierce competitor on the court. If he can adjust to shooting of screens and increase the elevation on his shot then he will be fine NBA shooter. His ball handling skills are solid and he can face-up or play low post. His offensive skills are off the charts and unlike McDermott he has more polished techniques and isn't mainly a product of his team's system. Not to mention he is more athletic. Defensively he will never be anything special. 

I've seen several comparisons too him. Andrea Bargnani, Ryan Anderson (I hate this one), Dirk, Channing Frye, Brad Miller and Kevin Love. In my honest opinion, depending on certain things, he has the potential to become anyone of those players. Although he will never become as good of a rebounder as Kevin Love.

To his credit, Frank has always seemed like a cool guy off the court too.  I just didn't want to give it to him because I remembered he had said something negative about our franchise, but in my mind, I remembered it being something more like, "fug those hillbillies.  their fans suck.  I want to impregnate their mothers in front of them."

I wouldn't have been upset had Winslow not been there. Had Winslow not been there I would have been elated with the pick. Winslow was the second best player in the draft behind Towns. Winslow is the biggest reason Duke won it all last year. He is a selfless, shot blocking, 3 pt shooting, unstoppable ball driving, soft touch finishing, winner with the heart of a champion and a killer instinct that knows just how and when to will his team to a win. 

This is not like the Luke pick in any way. Panthers went bpa and hornets did not and went need. When a player like Winslow is there you take him regardless of any trades you have made. You traded for Batum well you can trade him away. This would have been like the Panthers not picking Luke. 

I think Frank will be good but I think Winslow is the kind of player who redefines his position. He will be menacing our team for years to come on a division rival. I feel like this is a bad dream I can't wake up from. 

dook homer alert.

lmao 

“I am at the pinnacle of my basketball playing career, at least in my eyes,” Kaminsky wrote. “I know the NBA has their crazy fans and all, but if you look at all of their games, there are games when teams like the Bobcats get hardly any fans, and it looks flat out boring."

Archived