• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Now that Martin has retired, will Gettleman sign a free agent OT?

pantherking15

Jake Long (30 yrs. old), Sam Baker (30 yrs. old), and Anthony Collins (29 yrs. old) are still available.

We almost signed Collins last year. Collins could be a decent backup LT. He started 7 games at LT for the Bengals in 2013 (posting a +16.3 PFF grade) when Andy Dalton passed for 4,300 yards. After a terrible year with the Bucs, he would not cost that much.

Screen_shot_2015-07-27_at_3.16.55_PM.thu

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/20/ranking-the-2014-free-agents-offensive-tackles/

I recall there was another OL player released recently who some here were excited about.  Evan Mathis, I think?  If I recall correctly he was a guard.  Forgive what may be a stupid question (I *REALLY* don't know OLine stuff at all!) but are there any of our backup guards who could play backup tackle if we were to sign someone like Mathis?

I know we want to find someone decent with LT experience, but in a pinch could another guard signing help?

I recall there was another OL player released recently who some here were excited about.  Evan Mathis, I think?  If I recall correctly he was a guard.  Forgive what may be a stupid question (I *REALLY* don't know OLine stuff at all!) but are there any of our backup guards who could play backup tackle if we were to sign someone like Mathis?

I know we want to find someone decent with LT experience, but in a pinch could another guard signing help?

Andrew Norwell has the height to slide out to tackle and he played some tackle in college.  However, after how well he played at guard last year, it seems pointless to experiment him at tackle just to play Mathis there.  Mathis might be able to contribute for a year or two, but I'll take my chances with the possibility of Norwell being a long-term fixture at guard rather than Mathis being a 1 to 2 year stop gap solution.

Anthony Collins makes a lot of sense in a back-up role.... but if he just needs a change of scenery, could hold the fort down until Williams is ready. 

29 years old and not as injury prone as Long or Baker, I'd be happy with a Collins signing. I assume there's enough money left in the pot to make this happen. Maybe Collins is "too good" for the money it would cost for the level of player it takes to replace Martin, so Getts will sign some cast-off practice squad player that was a UDFA out of St.Cloud State. 

we drafted Mathis............he wants a ton of money from what I've heard.

Archived