• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Left Tackle Daryl Williams?

Jeremy Igo

The coaches need to stop this bad experiment. He was deemed unathletic enough to play right tackle coming into the NFL and now they want him to play the most athletic part on the oline? 

How many top rated LTs are over 320lbs let alone 330lbs? Remmers might be the better one to try at LT but what do i know? 

Uh, a lot.  Tyron Smith, Jason Peters, Andrew Whitworth...just to name a few current ones.  In the past: Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones.    HOF guys.  

• Pie 1

That is just stupid logic that is unfounded.  They make changes when they feel that the guy who is starting is not as good as the guy who is backing him up.  We started 7 rookies last year and that was not all due to injury.  Sometimes we use injury to say that is why we are making the change to preserve the veteran's ego but Rivera has not been unwilling to start a rookie over a veteran and will make changes when he feels they are ready to start.  Most times you may be forced to play a rookie earlier than you would like due to injury but you didnt play them just because of injury, the injury just made you act sooner than you would liked.   If Williams starts in week five due to Oher struggling or being injured it will be because he needed that long or longer to be ready. If he does well it would be a stretch to say he should have started all year.

Unfounded? Cason, Godfrey, Silatolu, Chandler, Decoud, White, Avant. Every one of those guys were getting meaningful snaps when they shouldn't have been. Good lord they didn't get rid of Cason until we were 3-8-1. He should've been cut after week 4.

Uh, a lot.  Tyron Smith, Jason Peters, Andrew Whitworth...just to name a few current ones.  In the past: Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones.    HOF guys.  

thats why I said how many, you've listed 3 out of 32 and only two out of those are even over 320. Smith is 320, not over 320. The rest you listed come under 330. All the top guys like Veldheer, Albert, Staley, Thomas and Smith are all at or below 320. 

Williams' size at 335 couples with his lack of athletism is a disaster waiting to happen. 

Edited by CelibatePimp

thats why I said how many, you've listed 3 out of 32 and only two out of those are even over 320. Smith is 320, not over 320. The rest you listed come under 330. All the top guys like Veldheer, Albert, Staley, Thomas and Smith are all at or below 320. 

Williams' size at 335 couples with his lack of athletism is a disaster waiting to happen. 

Honest question - where is the 'lack of athleticism' critique coming from?  I don't really follow pre-draft stuff that closely, so is it all from the scouting reports?

First and foremost, the running game.

Most of the guys on the left side that would be rushing him would be giving up 50-75lbs.  He would absolutely maul all the speed guys in the league.  This alone might not mean up tempo, high scoring games, but could mean our stable of back and Cam could rule every second half on the ground.

Passing

There were about 1 out of 10 draft pundits that had DW being athletic enough for the left side. But, the ones that did, had high praise for his potential there.

Buffalo's line is very tough.  Will be a good first test, I say first because it is very new for him and he is bound to make mistakes his first few times out, especially against the Bills

• Pie 1

I've noticed that too.

Igo was beating the "struggling" drum the other day while D.Newton, Voth, Jones and Rivera said differently. The following day he ended up having a decent day. The way I see it, Oher hasn't been mentioned much lately so I'll take that as good news.

We'll find out what Oher is made out of in the preseason. If he indeed sucks then Remmers and Williams will hopefully be there to take over.

Igo can't keep his fandom in check and it shows. Eg he had an article up about Ealy progressing today meanwhile Ron said just today that he needs to become more consistent. 

With regards to Williams, you're right that he will struggle in pass pro and that is what is especially needed from him since we have a right handed QB. 

First and foremost, the running game.

Most of the guys on the left side that would be rushing him would be giving up 50-75lbs.  He would absolutely maul all the speed guys in the league.  This alone might not mean up tempo, high scoring games, but could mean our stable of back and Cam could rule every second half on the ground.

Passing

There were about 1 out of 10 draft pundits that had DW being athletic enough for the left side. But, the ones that did, had high praise for his potential there.

Buffalo's line is very tough.  Will be a good first test, I say first because it is very new for him and he is bound to make mistakes his first few times out, especially against the Bills

no his size will make him a liability against speed guys. Byron Bell had more than 50lbs on those speed guys

• Pie 1