• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brown, Boykin, Byrd?

Jeremy Igo

Casual fans at Panthers training camp likely were excited to see wide receivers Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess on Sunday afternoon. As it turns out, three lesser known receivers ended up stealing the show. 

Mike Brown, Jarrett Boykin, and rookie Damiere Byrd all had strong showings at Sunday's practice. 

Byrd could be this year's Corey Brown. Much like Brown last season, Byrd keeps making plays no matter what unit he is playing with. Today was no exception. Damiere hauled in multiple nice catches and even elevated to backup punt returner. Ted Ginn Jr has even taken the speedy Byrd under his wing. (terrible pun)

panthers-training-camp-0033.thumb.jpg.69

Mike Brown has been mostly absent this entire offseason. Today, however, he hauled in multiple long passes for large gains from Derek Anderson and Joe Webb. Brown is on the bubble with the Panthers, it is difficult to see where on the depth chart he fits in. A few more practices like today, however, and it may become less difficult. 

panthers-training-camp-0153.thumb.jpg.5b

Jarrett Boykin provided one of the most exciting plays of the day, catching a pass from Derek Anderson in stride under heavy pressure from corner Carrington Byndom and behind safety Robert Lester. 

panthers-training-camp-0234.thumb.jpg.44

Cam Newton was so impressed with the Boykin effort he made sure to celebrate with him. 

panthers-training-camp-0285.thumb.jpg.11

Brown, Boykin and Byrd. Three names to remember as Panthers training camp continues on. 

View full article

• Pie 7

Damiere hauled in multiple nice catches and even elevated to backup punt returner. 

If he keeps catching passes and punts, and can break one once in a while, he may be a keeper, and if so, that's more impressive this year than last. A lot more talent at WR now.

• Pie 1

I think After KB, Funchess, Ginn, Brown, and BB it is between Boykin and Byrd. I do believe we carry 6 this year. I don't see Cotch making it. 

Cotchery is definitely making the team.  The coaches love him and he is great for helping the young guys along. 

• Pie 2

I know a lot of people on here are pro Bersin, but how can we keep Bersin on the roster when you've got guys like Byrd and Boykin who have such potential? We already know what you're getting with Bersin.

Kelvin

Funchess

Ginn

Brown

Cotchery

Boykin / Byrd (I want to see if he can take a hit.)

Edited by Nate Dogg
  • Pie 1

Going to be interesting to see which receivers get let go first.  The Buffalo game will be fun to watch for sure.  For some reason, I have this feeling that Cam will have the best season of his career this year and to do that he will need 2 of these WR's to step up.  Great pics as usual Jeremy.  

2015-2MPhotos-Panther Camp-0398.jpg

• Pie 1