• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top 5 things to watch against Buffalo

Jeremy Igo

fair enough. i still think we can agree that Shula has no excuse this year. we have the talent now. if the OL is really that much of a problem, scheme around it. if he cant, his head needs to roll.

I suspect he will be able to scheme around the O line. He has plenty of experience doing it the past 2 years.  But don't be surprised if he is still here going forward.  The people in the orgnization making decisions dont seem to have any problem with him.

I find it hilarious that Shula still has supporters.  Is he solely responsible for all of our offensive woes?  No, of course not (improper reads, poor executions, drops, overthrows, etc. all play a part).  But he has consistently shown poor judgement, bad play calling, and poor game management.  Not to mention his inability to make adjustments as the game goes on. 

To all the Shula defenders...

We've seen Cam be the QB for a top 10 offense and a top 5 scoring offense. .

Has Shula ever been a cordinator for either of these things? ?

Better Has Shula ever did this for a top 15 offense??

Problem is that total yards which you are using, counts for nothing in terms of wins or losses.  Points do.  Go look up if we scored more points per game in 2012 under Chud or in 2013 under Shula.  Hint:  it wasnt Chud.

Quantity stats like total yards may make a difference to casual fans but not to serious posters.  Plus relative ratings like top 10 or top 15 are meaningless as well.  The difference between a top 10 or top 20 offense in terms of total yards may be  one series or perhaps 50 yards a game..   

• Pie 1

I suspect he will be able to scheme around the O line. He has plenty of experience doing it the past 2 years.  But don't be surprised if he is still here going forward.  The people in the orgnization making decisions dont seem to have any problem with him.

if he can do as you say, then he deserves to be here. and im not afraid to admit that.

Problem is that total yards which you are using, counts for nothing in terms of wins or losses.  Points do.  Go look up if we scored more points per game in 2012 under Chud or in 2013 under Shula.  Hint:  it wasnt Chud.

Quantity stats like total yards may make a difference to casual fans but not to serious posters.  Plus relative ratings like top 10 or top 15 are meaningless as well.  The difference between a top 10 or top 20 offense in terms of total yards may be  one series or perhaps 50 yards a game..   

2012 and 2013 were both 22pts per game. But 2011 > 2014, Chud scored more his first two years than the last 2 with Shula

Okay,

Shula went a combined 26-23 as the head coach of Alabama, ALABAMA. How do you basically go .500 with the resources, money, recruiting interest, etc. that Alabama has. One thing Shula does well, and there are facts to prove it is that he can coach quarterbacks. Shula did a great job with David Garrard in Jackonsville and he did a great job with Cam during his rookie season. A lot of that can be attributed to the offensive coordinator and the scheme he implements. Shula has proven he is not capable of handing the responsibilities of anything higher than an assistant/positional coach. We all know he was promoted to OC because his continuity with Cam but eventually enough is enough. No excuses this year. It was mentioned before. If the OL is not providing adequate protection you scheme around it and stop the BS long developing plays that force Cam to wait a long time before his 1st read even finishes his route thus resulting in sacks/hurries. It's not hard. He needs to show improvement this season in his play-calling. More quick, ding-and-dump type plays with a hurried tempo should allow this offense to succeed. Sending Cothery on a streak in a cover 3 isn't going to cut it. That's what I'm looking for: logic and improvement.

Edited by Chief_Chokeaho

In 2012 it was 22.4 and in 2013 it was 22.9. Not the same. As for 2011 versus 2014, given Cam only played 14 games total and he was only healthy for 4 of the 16 it is hardly a fair comparison. 

Botton line under Chud we won 13 games while under Shula we won 19. Sure the defense was better but Shula's ball control offense is a part of the reason the defense is better. Chud worried about moving the ball in chunks and didn't focus on controlling the clock or moving the chains. So we had plenty of yards but a bunch of 3 and outs and gave the opponent the ball too often with short fields. It was fun to watch but didn't result in the wins it should have.

• Pie 1

I find it hilarious that Shula still has supporters.  Is he solely responsible for all of our offensive woes?  No, of course not (improper reads, poor executions, drops, overthrows, etc. all play a part).  But he has consistently shown poor judgement, bad play calling, and poor game management.  Not to mention his inability to make adjustments as the game goes on. 

Considering those supporters are Rivera and Gettleman, the joke is on you.

• Pie 2

I notice Jeremy said "play confusion, miscues, overthrows, wrong routes, slow play development" but the retorts defending Shula have mostly said "execution."

The problems on our offense are not just the QB missing a throw or the receiver dropping the ball. It's confusion, lack of urgency, and slow developing plays. Those things are ALL on the OC. We have experienced vets who, after many years in the league, suddenly look like they have no idea what's going on, running wrong routes, stopping mid route, etc. Do you think they suddenly turned stupid? It's the OC's job to get everyone on the same page, it's the OC's job to install urgency, quick-fire plays which have been THE most successful thing in our offense, and all indications are that Shula is failing yet again.

Is it possible a bunch of those issues last year were having no wide receivers who had been in the system except for Bersin and a very inexperienced O line?.  If Williams and Stewart  were doing the same thing after being in the system then blame Shula. But they weren't making those mistakes.  If it was the OC alone then things wouldn't have gotten better over the course of the season and yet they did as the new guys gained more experience and learned the system.

seriously,  why can't we wait until until the regular season to bash him for this year.  The first preseason game hasn't happened yet and the whining is ridiculous about something that hasn't even happened this year.

• Pie 2

everyone nees to show improvement. 

I you're not gettng better, you're getting worse.

I agree but I think Shula needs to evolve a bit more and diversify his portfolio..moreso him than anyone else.  He's been in the bottom third of offenses for the majority of his career.

Stats dont always equate to wins.  Many of Chud's yards and points where scored when we were behind and in losing efforts with clearly the best talent we have had on offense in the past 4 years.  He was more out for himself and the numbers than he was for the team and for wins.

I definitely agree he was out for himself more. which is bad... but purely as an offensive coordinator and play calling, its hard to say you would rather have shula over chud.